No announcement yet.

Century Theatres: Not for impressionable youths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has nothing to do with movie theatres but the employees got to write the new releases up on a dry erase board. Every day someone asked if The Lion King III: Mufasa's Return was in yet.

Comment

I've got a rule for employees. Learn how to focus a friggan picture! I hate paying all that money to see out of focus films.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Unfortunately, Che, minimum wage grunts like me and Cyclotron had nothing to do with that; projectionists are very-well-paid union employees, and their union is harder to get into than a medieval Venetian glassblowing guild.

But you're right. You hardly ever see a perfectly focused film anymore.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Your age is showing, Rufus. The projectionist unions were broken a while back. These days, its min wage slaves like Cyclotron who load the film and push a button.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Well, that explains it then. I hate showing my age...almost as much as I hate showing the top of my head through the few whisps of hair left up there.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

It's actually kinda neat. I had a friend show us how its done in the projection booth. It was cool to watch the movie from up there. A monkey could do it, but it takes caring to focus the film, which isn't gonna happen with min wage slaves.

Comment

No wonder no one does anything about people who talk in the theatre.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  Your age is showing, Rufus. The projectionist unions were broken a while back. These days, its min wage slaves like Cyclotron who load the film and push a button.
                  I'm pretty sure the projectionists got payed better than I did, but certainly they weren't in any kind of union that I could tell. As far as the janitorial stuff, that is a different job altogether; yes, occasionally I was told to clean the paper towels off the floor of the bathroom, but I was usually switched between concession and door. The janitor positions are generally for those who can't speak english (thus, cannot interact with customers) at the theatre I worked at.

See, the problem with this job is that the only perk isn't really much of a perk. Yes, you see movies for free, BUT you can't see them for 2 weeks after they come out. Additionally, think about this: you work 40 hours a week standing around in one place collecting tickets. Your job is hell. You have memorized the order and run time of all the various campy muzak tracks that are played in the halls (yes, I actually did that). Do you really want to head ack to the theatre during the days you are not working, just to see a free movie? I know I didn't. I worked there for 3 months and only saw 3 movies.
                  Lime roots and treachery!
                  "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

And for the record, $8.50 is not minimum wage, at least in California where I worked. It keeps getting raised, so I'm not sure what it is now, but it's below $8.50.
                    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

By the way, for those wondering about the kettle korn issue... there is, by both volume and weight, nearly twice as much sugar in that crap as there is corn. Add the unlabeled oil wierd stuff (that is stored in almost the exact same container as the concoction used to sterilize countertops), and, well, you've got some pretty awful stuff.

Imagine if you will, in your mind, the woman who in all the earth should be the last person ordering pure sugar with a smattering of popcorn and salt and oil in it. Mentally picture the last person you would ever think should be ordering such a thing. Yes, I know it hurts, but try. Results may very, but I'm thinking morbidly obese.

That exact person once came up to me once, asking for a large tub of kettle korn (it comes in tubs?). I was only too happy to oblige... and then she asked me for butter. We don't even usually put butter on it, but of course she wanted it. As I was filling the tub, she stopped me, requesting butter in the middle, too. I swear I could hear that tub sloshing when I placed it in her swollen hands.

And they wonder why Americans are fat.

Comment

Working...
                      X