No announcement yet.

Country with best cinematography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, the U.S. has no competition when it comes to movie making.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

the U.S. and

no one else.

maybe Italy just for the spagetti westerns

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
        Seriously, the U.S. has no competition when it comes to movie making.

I don't wound to sound anti-American here... but America is probably one of the suckiest country when it comes to movies.

Sure, there was Welles, Kubrick, van Sant, David Lynch. There is the Sundance festival, but...

how much Hollywoodian movies, how much Academy Awards, stupid star system.

Try the following exercise: analyse the story of a movie. If it's Hollywoodian, there is a 95% chance than it will have two parts: a love story + a suspense (whatever it may be). Each story will have starting point in the first 15 minutes and a resolution point int he last 15. Characters are clearly separated between good and evil so as not to confuse the viewer. They have no psychology, and each major character is defined in the first few minutes by obvious dialogue lines. There is no such thing as nuance or paradox.

The technique is absolutely invisible. The goal here is that the viewer forgets he is seeing a movie, so that he feels the emotion without having to think about what he is seeing, even less criticizing the obvious propaganda.
        Think a second about Saving Private Ryan: did you notice that you never see a close up on the face of a German soldier (except for a single one); and that they are always filmed in a dark and shady way? Ask yourself why.

Do this, and, believe me, you won't be seeing an Hollywoodian movie for the rest of your life.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Iran?
          Hell, you'd love far West Texas.

What about New Zealand?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
            Where the hell is New Zealand?
            The South Pacific.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

France, then Germany... the US make many popular movies, but they're not too high in quality

Comment

No mention of the UK? Interesting. We've (historically) had a great film making tradition. Not so much now though.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Besides, I felt like it was unfair not to include any South American country (though I left Africa).
                  Uhh, Mexico isn't located in South America.

the US make many popular movies, but they're not too high in quality
                  I disagree, most of the popular movies which are made in US may be not too high in quality, yes, but the popular movies are not the only ones made in there.

DEDIT: Spelklkink.
                  Last edited by RGBVideo; December 16, 2003, 10:52.

Comment

Well I know no old movies from ze UK. But then isn't A Clockwork Orange an English movie?

Comment

I thought you meant the scenery.
                      Can I change my vote, to NOT Iowa, in either case?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

ah, Trainspotting...

Comment

The South Pacific.

I'm surprised it took so long for that "joke" to appear...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                            I don't wound to sound anti-American here... but America is probably one of the suckiest country when it comes to movies.
                            [...]
                            If it's Hollywoodian,
                            [...]
                            So, better say:
                            Hollywood is probably one of the suckiest place when it comes to movies...
                            Don't mix up Hollywood and USA.
                            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

what about about schmidt? that's not something that starts and ends in the first and final 15.
                              B♭3

Comment

DRY! A man of reasoning ability. Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                X