The multi-issue "Where does Apolyton stand?" poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The multi-issue "Where does Apolyton stand?" poll

The idea is that you vote for one option from each set of two, but you don't have to vote that way if you don't want. Vote for what closest matches your beliefs. And if in doubt, for example, on the abortion question: Consider it to be the US we're talking about. Otherwise we'll get skewed results from people in countries with different stances on it.
    Government needs to do more to redistribute wealth
    4.87%
    Government should do less wealth redistribution
    3.13%
    Government needs to take over some things that are done by the private sector
    4.87%
    The private sector needs to take over things currently done by the government
    4.04%
    Government should regulate the private sector more
    4.96%
    Government should not regulate the private sector more
    3.22%
    Government should do more to protect the environment
    6.71%
    Government should allow industries more freedom
    2.11%
    The government needs to further separate itself from religion
    6.71%
    Government should accept faith-based organizations more
    1.84%
    The death penalty should not be used under any circumstances
    4.60%
    The death penalty should be used under some circumstances
    4.04%
    Abortion rights should be expanded
    4.50%
    Abortion rights should be limited
    3.40%
    People should have more personal freedom (ie to smoke marijuana)
    6.80%
    Government should illegalize things like that
    1.47%
    The individual needs more privacy from the government, more trial rights, etc
    6.53%
    Police can limit rights in favor of national security
    2.57%
    Western countries should try to spread democratic ideology throughout the world
    5.33%
    Western democracies should leave the ROW alone
    2.85%
    Government should allow gay marriage
    5.88%
    Government should allow civil unions only
    2.57%
    Government should not allow civil unions or gay marriage
    0.83%
    Gay couples should be allowed to adopt
    6.16%
    Last edited by Jaguar; December 14, 2003, 23:54.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Oh, and for the last 4 options, you can vote for any one of the first three, and then either vote or don't vote on the last one.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

He he he, three conservatives so far, zero liberals.

Except none of the conservatives so far have been very hardcore.

Comment

The problem is, these aren't one-side-or-the-other issues. For instance, I feel that the government should seperate itself more from embracing any particular religion or religions, yet I feel that faith-based programs have as much right to be federally funded as secular programs.

That being said...good thread
        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I tried to break issues down as much as possible, but there are far more than a dozen different things we debate.

Comment

I'll list my answers right here so I can later on compare them on the opinions I'll have in the future -- it can be interesting to notice what ideals have changed, and why (the data is much safer in here than in my HD.
            - Government should do less wealth redistribution
            - Government needs to take over some things that are done by the private sector
            - The private sector needs to take over things currently done by the government
            - Government should regulate the private sector more
            - Government should do more to protect the environment
            - The government needs to further separate itself from religion
            - The death penalty should be used under some circumstances
            - Abortion rights should be expanded
            - Government should illegalize things like that ("things like that": marijuana etc.)
            - Police can limit rights in favor of national security
            - Government should allow civil unions only
            - Gay couples should be allowed to adopt

Comment

Government needs to take over some things that are done by the private sector

AND

are not mutually exclusive, and I agree with both of those statements.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Government should do less wealth redistribution
                The death penalty should be used under some circumstances
                Government should illegalize things like that
                Police can limit rights in favor of national security
                Western countries should try to spread democratic ideology throughout the world

Comment

I screwed up on one section. Should have voted for the government needs to separate itself from religion. I believe that the government needs to be secular, but should not shy away from working with faith based charities.
                  "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                  "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                  "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Hmm, this is difficult for me. I can agree with things on both sides of many of those issues. Like "Western countries should try to spread democratic ideology throughout the world" Yes I agree with this statement, as stated.

However its probably meant to mean things like the invasion of Iraq, which I disagree with. As it doesn't say how the ideology should be spread, I'm not sure what to think.

"Western democracies should leave the ROW alone "

I agree with this too. But some anti-globalization folks could take this to mean we stop trading with the rest of the world and cage Mickey Mouse. This I'd disagree with.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I went into hardcore leftist mode on this one.

The only thing where I should haven't voted at all is on the "democracy around the world" question. I think western countries should spread the ideals of democracy around the world, but I think such process should be subtle, and certainly not through bloodbath.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Sorry to piss on your poll, neighbor.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

There is a problem about the privacy question. I would never agree to let police limit my rights in favor of national security. But I would a court - as is permitted under the law today. The police do not have a free hand in the US. Do they have a free hand outside the US for national security reasons without having to get permission from a judge?
                          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

The problem is, these aren't one-side-or-the-other issues. For instance, I feel that the government should seperate itself more from embracing any particular religion or religions, yet I feel that faith-based programs have as much right to be federally funded as secular programs.

I agree with this as well. That's why I voted for both options.

oh yes, i was VERY bothered by the lack of an option to vote for "Government should nationalize Banana Farms"
                            -connorkimbro
                            "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Mine:

Government should do more to protect the environment
                              The government needs to further separate itself from religion
                              The death penalty should not be used under any circumstances
                              People should have more personal freedom (ie to smoke marijuana)
                              The individual needs more privacy from the government, more trial rights, etc
                              Western democracies should leave the ROW alone

Any "couplet" that I didn't comment on is something that I feel is "fine" at the moment, and needs no increasing or decreasing.

Yup.
                              "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                              "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                              "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Working...
                              X