X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people just aren't lucky.

Berlusconi joke jars at EU summit
    Fri Dec 12, 1:30 PM ET

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - One of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's wisecracks has jarred at a European Union (news - web sites) summit after he joked about being thrown from a helicopter, participants say.

Polish Prime Minister Leszek Miller, who broke his spine in a helicopter crash last week, arrived in a wheelchair shortly after Berlusconi told fellow leaders the joke over lunch on Friday.

The Italian leader joked that he and his wife were flying over a crowd of protesters. He told her: "I could throw out one 10,000 euro note and make one person happy. I could throw two 5,000 euro notes and make two people happy. Or I could throw 10,000 one-euro coins and make 10,000 people happy."

The helicopter pilot, he said, replied: "We could throw you out and make everyone happy."

One EU diplomat said that in the light of Miller's accident, "it is quite remarkable he would tell a joke about helicopters".

Berlusconi's sense of humour got him into trouble at the start of his six-month stint in the EU chair, when he joked that a German member of the European Parliament should play the role of a guard in a film about a Nazi concentration camp.

I still thought the helicopter joke was funny though.

Helicopter ejection...
    Rabid conservativism...

This is FEZ's doing!!!!!
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Re: Some people just aren't lucky.

Originally posted by paiktis22
      We could throw you out and make everyone happy.
      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Fez = Berlusconi?

It was a good joke though. If Berl already knew about the accident, he should've held back, but I wouldn't hold it against him if he didn't. ALL jokes are bad if someone just suffered them. "Why did the chicken cross the road?" "My pet chicken got ran over..."
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Please...just because the Polish president had an accident involving a helicopter, Berlusconi can't tell a joke about him being deliberately thrown out of a helicopter.

I don't like Berlusconi, but this is just too much.

Asmodean
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

He's the Italian version of Prince Philip...

'I'm surprised you haven't turned all slitty-eyed by now'

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I still thought the helicopter joke was funny though.

Me too
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Berlusconi is a total ******* but the joke is kind of funny. I hardky think he would be as good-humored if others started to make such jokes about him during official meetings and to the media though.

Comment

What the article didn't tell you is that Berlusconi response to the pilot was,

"I'll throw you out of the helicopter... you criminal!"
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

for the helicopter pilot
                    Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

This seems like the old joke about the driver...

Stalin [or Hruscov or insert your politician] drives through a village and his car hits a farm animal. His driver stops, exits the car and enters the nearby bar to find the owner and pay for the damage. He doesn't return for two hours and when he is back he is totaly drunk. Stalin asks him "what happened? Why did it take so long and why are you drunk?". He replies: "I told them I was Stalin's driver and I ran over the pig, and they wouldn't stop paying me drinks..."

Anyway this really is overreacting. The EU politicians are really stiff and Berlusconi is a real refreshment wrt humor (not other things)

Comment

Yeah sure, I bet you'd love to be compared to a kapo at your job. Very refreshing.

Comment

They provide no proof. They provide NOTHING! and yet they wish to destroy Berlusconi. Those criminals!
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I didn't know Fez was Italian.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

This thread had me laughing so much...
                              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                              Drake Tungsten
                              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                              Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                              X