lindows no more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lindows no more

a few years ago, redmond linux was forced to change its name by microsoft to become lycoris. now, lindows is being told to change its name.

funny thing is, i've never liked lindows, so i'm glad they're being told to change their name.

lycoris ==
    microsoft == 0
    lindows ==
    B♭3

forgot the link.

Lindows.com ordered to drop Lindows name
    Microsoft brought legal action

Microsoft sued Lindows.com in the U.S. in December 2001, accusing the company of infringing its Windows trademark and asking the court to bar Lindows.com from using the Lindows name. The company lost two requests for an injunction and the matter is now for a jury to decide in a trial set to start March 1, 2004.

European courts appear to be siding with Microsoft. The Redmond, Washington, company sought a preliminary injunction in Finland on Nov. 28 and it was granted on Dec. 1, company spokeswoman Stacy Drake said Thursday. In Sweden, Microsoft requested a preliminary injunction on Dec. 9 and got it on Dec. 10, she said.

Microsoft has also filed a request for a preliminary injunction in the Netherlands and intents to do so in France, where it has already taken the first step in that process by filing a complaint with a local court, Drake said.

"In response to what is a clear and obvious infringement on our trademark, Microsoft has taken action in select international territories to curtail infringing or misleading behavior on the part of Lindows.com," Drake said.

Lindows.com spokeswoman Cheryl Schwarzman said the company was unaware of the Finnish preliminary injunction or the filing of a complaint in France. Lindows did know of the Microsoft action in the Netherlands, she said.

Lindows.com Chief Executive Officer Michael Robertson in a statement issued in response to the Swedish injunction, lashed out against Microsoft's legal pursuit of his company, accusing Microsoft of using lawsuits "as a battering ram to smash Linux."

Drake denied that Microsoft is trying to stifle competition. "Microsoft's steps in this case are only about the Lindows name. We are merely asking that Lindows.com change its name, which obviously is meant to copy our Windows brand," she said. "Contrary to Lindows' statements, this is not about Microsoft trying to prevent competition."
    B♭3

Comment

Why are they being forced to change?
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

the name is too close to windows.
        B♭3

Comment

I thought you cannot trademark such a common word?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

no, you can. windows is a brand name, so..
            B♭3

Comment

"Seethro and Sons glaziered transparent screen". Can be used in houses, cars, prisons...
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

What are going to change it to? Winux? =p

Comment

redmond linux --> lycoris.

i'm sure the lindows people can be creative enough to have one.

tsk. that's not at risk of being mistaken for xp.
                  B♭3

Comment

Winsux
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Minix used to be microsoft's.

so, maybe Winix.

it's been done before.

Mario and Wario, for example.
                      B♭3

Comment

the only way it doesn't sound bad is if you have a long i. like in wine.

meye-nicks and why-nicks.

if you say it with a short i, it sounds crappy.

min-nicks and win-nicks.
                        B♭3

Comment

Sinix.

They'll come in droves.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Bugfix.

These may come in droves too.

Comment

That's a beautiful hat, Zop.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X