Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should countries refuse to honor debts run up by dictators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should countries refuse to honor debts run up by dictators?

I'm not familiar with the technical term, but some economists have evidently floated the idea that when a country gets rid of a dictator (like Iraq) then that nation is not obligated for the international debts run up that had to do with anything except economic development. In the case of Iraq that would mean honoring debts concerning oil field or infrastructure development, but not debts for building palaces, nerve gas production, equipping internal security forces, military weapons, etc.

Most industrial nations and international banks are utterly opposed to the idea. They say it would stop economic growth in third world countries. I like it. If banks and countries have to be careful on what the money they hand out goes to, maybe they will be a little more careful about who they load money to.
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

yes

than maybe corporations will quit lending to dictators

and people will quit proping them up

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

no

mainly because Bush is considered a dictator. And I expect countries to pay up their debts to the U.S.

Comment

I think this is an idea long overdue. If a regime is under UN sanction one of the sanctions could be that any debt entered into in violation of the sanctions is void. (I would almost hope that this is the law anyway.)
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Against.

It seems to me that a vast majority of the third world never intended to pay back the loans in the first place. The trend to "demonize" first world countries that do not "forgive" the loans is just plain wrong. It encourages the financial irresponsibility that plagues the third world.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
            no

mainly because Bush is considered a dictator. And I expect countries to pay up their debts to the U.S.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Vince, how can a "third world" country never intend to pay when a dictator is running it. The DICTATOR may not have intended to pay, but the people had no choice.

Once the people regain their rights, should they be obligated to pay for the weapons used to kill them? That's exactly whats happening right now in many countries, not just Iraq. Try telling the Kurds that they owe France, Germany, and Russian.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
                Once the people regain their rights, should they be obligated to pay for the weapons used to kill them?
                Are you saying we should be obligated to pay for the weapons used to kill them?
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

If you voted for the dirty bastard who approved the arms sales? Yes. If your company sold them to a dictator, who used them to keep his people oppressed, read as in butcher civilians. Yes. Maybe that way people will stop supplying the weapons, or at least be more careful and insist on cash and carry, limiting the weapons distribution.

Comment

It would be better if we just refuse to sell to certain dictators in the first place instead of forgiving their country's debts.

I am against people who think they are actually entitled to have their debts forgiven.

A change in government does not wipe the slate clean. The nations on the losing end of WW1 and WW2 were still responsible for their debts and reparations (even though some were eventually forgiven).

After a change in government how will you separate a dictator's supporters from non-supporters? Will we only require them to pay off the debt? A country bears a certain responsibility for its own leadership. The government should not be able to maintain power for long if a majority of the people are against it.

Lets also not forget that alot of the debt is non-military in nature.

Comment

Yes of course.
                      Russia owes sh!tloads of money since Tsar's times. Tsar was an evil dictator, communists who came later were evil bastards, USSR was an evil empire. Why should we pay hundreds of billions now? Modern Russia is not responsible for debts of those evil freaks.

STOP THE DEBTS!!!

P.S.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                        yes

than maybe corporations will quit lending to dictators

and people will quit proping them up

Jon Miller
                        Or maybe it would make the life under a dictator even more miserable.

It's very difficult to know...
                        Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

i agree with vince.
                          B♭3

Comment

Of course you do, you conservative bastard!

The term is odeous debt. Under most legal systems, you cannot be held liable for debts you did not enter into voluntarily. For example, a thug holds a gun to you and makes you take out a loan at usurious rates. You could go to court and have the debt declared null and void. If individuals have this right, why should not groups of people?

What would be more interesting to to force the supporters of the dictators, internally and internationally to pay the debts.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

@che
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X