Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terms in music reviews that make the warning lights go up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terms in music reviews that make the warning lights go up.

Now, music reviews can be and often are self-absorbed masturbationery and a mean for aging Gen-Xers and Boomers to prove that hey, they know more about the music than the modern youth so there. However, when you learn to read the code, there's a lots of useful information. For instance, the adjective 'wistful' is music-reviewese code for "A 'man' mewls about love like a neutered kitten while the rest of the band strums acoustic guitars or makes ambient noises and NOTHING F*CKING HAPPENS." Thus, one should steer clear of such bands.

What other such warning signs do the reviews offer?
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Experimental. Usually just means a few triangles tinkling in the background, use of dodgy keyboards, or mixing musical styles which go together about as well as milk and beer.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

generally they tend to make the most crappy albums sound good.

music reviews are all crap

Comment

I don't know. I don't read music rewievs. I want to listen to the music myself and make the decision based on that (not some wimpy review from a wimpy mag)
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Well, if it's written by Snapcase (*ahem* Buck Birdseed), that's usually a big warning sign.... for the review
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Well, if it's written by Snapcase (*ahem* Buck Birdseed), that's usually a big warning sign.... for the review
            Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing that.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

np

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran It's funny that what he comes out with is a pretentious load of drivel, intended to attack pretentiousness in music
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                X