Online Resumes and the Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Resumes and the Rules

I'm trying to create a new, online resume -- something I have never done before.

My question is this -- do I need to call each of my past employers for permission to put their name, address and supervisor information on my homepage?

Or, could I just go ahead and put all of that on, without prior permission -- just as I would not need permission by mailing out hard copy resumes??

And are there any other particularities about using online resumes that I should be aware of??

Thanks in advance -- for the serious, helpful information -- not any bullsh*t that you might come up with.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

It's easier to apologise than to ask permission.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I'm sure there are Apolytoners who already have online resumes, so I would like to hear what they know about this.

Comment

Well on my regular resume I do not have address on it. The only time I give that out is when I am applying for a job and they ask for it. I think that you dont need to put the address. As for refences, you can say that they are avaible upon request.
        Donate to the American Red Cross.
        Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Am I the only one who has an online resume??

Comment

I don't even have a resume any more
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You don't??

Comment

i don't have one right now, as I have pretty damn near invincible job security, but as i get closer to getting out of the army, i'll put my resume up. i likely won't take a full time job, i just want to see what kind of jobs will be offered to me, based on the skills and experience i have.
                -connorkimbro
                "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

I'm still in grad school -- no career position attained yet.

So, I still need my resume in the near future.

Comment

But damn, if there be no help forthcoming here, I guess I gotta wait until tomorrow for my appointment with a career counselor -- and find out how helpful or worthless that appointment will be. Maybe this person is knowledgeable about online resumes.

I got several questions I want to discuss tomorrow on top of that.

Comment

Why would you put the address and supervisor information on a resume anyway?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

They usually would want to contact a supervisor -- but true, it's not necessary to have the address.

Comment

Normal practice is to say "references available upon request" as someone said above. People only want that if they are interested in hiring you and they'd appreciate the need for privacy there anyway.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Yup, what MikeH said. You provide your experience without contact name(s), addresses, telephone numbers, etc. Most potential employers will only verify your experience after at least your first interview anyway.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                            X