Argentina demands UK nuke apology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentina demands UK nuke apology

GENERAL PICO, Argentina (Reuters) -- Argentine President Nestor Kirchner has demanded an apology from Britain for the "monstrous" act of arming its warships with nuclear depth charges during the 1982 Falklands war.
    Silly Argies...

I wonder, what's the most "monstrous act": starting a war by invading some islands that doesn't want you there, or carry a couple of small nukes (which didn't even enter Argentinian waters, by the way) n your ships?
    Last edited by Gangerolf; December 8, 2003, 08:45.
    CSPA

I always wondered why the Argentinians did not simply send the entire British fleet to the bottom. This explains why.

Comment

What are they complaining at? They got the revenge in the Football World Cup later that year, didn't they?
      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Perhaps he would also like to ask G W Bush and also Putin for apologies for all the US and Soviet warships that have ever been within 200 miles of the Argentinian coast with nuclear weapons on board?

Perhaps not.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripledoc
          I always wondered why the Argentinians did not simply send the entire British fleet to the bottom. This explains why.
          It's not like they didn't try. They did sink several ships IIRC
          CSPA

Comment

WTF are nuclear depth charges? Are they what they sound like (nukes to blow up subs)?
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

yes
              CSPA

Comment

Okay. Did the Aregentines have much of a sub force?
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I would like a personal apology from everyone who brings a nuclear weapon anywhere near me or mine.

(Or near the Earth, come to think of it.)

But politicians get off on power. So I don't suppose I'll get one from them.

Maybe the guys who handle them are a better bet. But soldiers like powerful weapons so I guess I'd better not hold my breathe on that either.

Comment

And the guys who invent them like getting their research funded.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't know if the Argentinians had a sub force. They probably didn't, considering the Brits never intended to use the depth charges anyway. From what I understand, taking them off the ships would delay the campaign too much.
                      CSPA

Comment

Okay, let me get this straight...

Argentina is demanding an apololgy for something the Brits didn't use, while at war with them, twenty years after the fact?

Let me guess -- it's an election year there, right?
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                          I don't know if the Argentinians had a sub force. They probably didn't, considering the Brits never intended to use the depth charges anyway. From what I understand, taking them off the ships would delay the campaign too much.
                          The Royal Navy were actually quite worried at the time about a couple of the Argentinian subs which were relatively modern european built vessels and much quieter than the Soviet subs the RN ships were designed to hunt.

Even so, it is pretty unlikely they would have used these weapons, they were really envisaged for use against Soviet missile subs in a conflict that had gone tactical nuclear anyway.

The Cabinet did IIRC fairly rapidly discard the option of nuking Buenos Aires with a Polaris missile after the war started.
                          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I didn't know the nukes were depth charges. I thought they were warheads for like surface to surface missiles.
                            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Absolutely ridiculuos.

Even if we hadn't tkane any with the task force we could have nuked downtown Buenes Aries any time with our ICBM's but did we? - no.

Christ the Ruskies used to fly there nuclear bombers right toward the UK every week did we complain no because and this is the point they didn't use or even threaten to use them.

Stupid defeated economic basket case idiots.
                              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Working...
                              X