No announcement yet.

Anime Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--"but it's picked up recently and the plot is starting to get really interesting."

Well, I've seen 22 episodes, and it is getting better. However, they have to be careful about falling into the "let's make it even more complex" trap and not be able to do a decent wrap-up (a-la Twin Peaks). I can't tell right now how good they're doing at this; the extra epsiodes may cause them a problem, depending how well they planned for this possibility.

Wraith
    "If you're not going to kill me, I have things to do."
    - Darkman

Comment

Just wanted to bump things, since the third Haibane Renmei DVD is available early in some stores. ^_^

Wraith
      Beware! The paranoids are watching you!

Comment

OK, I know I replied to this thread! This is the second of my posts that has mysteriously disappeared. At least, the second one that I noticed.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

--"This is the second of my posts that has mysteriously disappeared."

It must be a conspiracy. Maybe you should repost, but tie a string to it so you can track down whoever takes it.

Wraith
          "The universe is my dwelling place and my house is my only clothes! Why are you entering into my pants?"
          -- Liu Ling ("The Story of the Stone")

Comment

I'm ashamed to admit that I've just started the Evangelion series. I do like the 'reversible city'. Good theme music.

A little too 'Shounen ish' sometimes for my tastes....(we have giant battle robots that for some reason can only be piloted by 14 year olds)
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Wraith, nice webpage thank you for the wallpapers
              The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

few more days till Berserk vol 26!!!!!!! wheeeeee!~

(Have pity on us berserk fans... with volumes being released almost EVERY YEAR.... )
                :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
                  --"This is the second of my posts that has mysteriously disappeared."

It must be a conspiracy. Maybe you should repost, but tie a string to it so you can track down whoever takes it.

Wraith
                  "The universe is my dwelling place and my house is my only clothes! Why are you entering into my pants?"
                  -- Liu Ling ("The Story of the Stone")
                  It's probably just the forum fizzing out on me. There are too many anti-greek subliminal messages in my posts that probably set it off.

Anyway, I saw "Kiki's Delivery Service" last week. It was great. I was thinking about how it didn't fit with the Disney genre at all. There's no lame villain and the female lead is independent yet has human weaknesses, unlike the "superwomyn" of Disney films. However, I still suspect those two old ladies were up to something. One of them just seemed too excited during the blimp disaster. How long ago did this become available in the US? Or in English, for that matter? I was surprised to see Phil Hartman as the voice of Jiji.

I also picked up "Castle in the Sky" last Friday. Compared to "Kiki," it was a disappointment. It just didn't move me like "Spirited Away" and "Kiki" did.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

--"A little too 'Shounen ish' sometimes for my tastes...."

Heh. Give it time. It does start quite like shounen-mecha action, but there's other things going on.

There is a reason for the 14 year old thing, but I don't remember how explicitly it was stated in the series.

Spoiler:
                    Basically, the only people who can pilot the Evangelions are people born after the Second Impact. If you want more detail I can give it.

--"Wraith, nice webpage"

Domo. The wallpapers are from the R2 release, so they were probably done by ABe himself. Very nice, yes.

--"few more days till Berserk vol 26!!"

You hope ^_^

--"Anyway, I saw "Kiki's Delivery Service" last week. It was great."

That is a good one. Not typical Disney (thankfully), but more their thing than Princess Mononoke.
                    It came out on DVD just recently (this last year, I think), but it's been available in the US on VHS for several years now.

They've still got several Ghibli films to be released on DVD. The next will likely be (based on VA comments) Porco Rosso, which is my personal favorite.

Wraith
                    "A pig's gotta fly."
                    -- Porco ("Porco Rosso")

Comment

Wraith (or whoever): have you ever heard of an anime called either "She, the Ultimate Weapon" or possibly "The Last Love Song On This Little Planet"? If so, have you any info and/or opinions on it?
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

You cannot escape from One Piece in Japan. It's everywhere.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

--"Wraith (or whoever): have you ever heard of an anime called either "She, the Ultimate Weapon""

Saishuuheiki Kanojou. The "last lovesong" bit is a subtitle.

I actually think a better translation of the title is "My Girlfriend, the Ultimate Weapon", but apparently the manga author uses "She", so it might just be some engrish ^_^

Anyway, it's one of two Gonzo shows I mostly like. Most of their shows are just plain pap; the kind of generic crud that's meant to appeal to a big audience of adolescent boys (ie. harem animes). This isn't at all like most of their shows, but it suffers from one of Gonzo's trademarks: messing up the ending.

Overall it's good, although as I mention, the ending needs help. There are some great moments, but some of them can get fairly intense. It is about an all-out war in the future, so expect a lot of deaths. The artwork took a little bit to get used to, but overall it's good (espeically some of the shots of Chise).

I'm pretty sure the manga has been licensed as well, but I don't know if it's started release yet.

--"You cannot escape from One Piece in Japan. It's everywhere."

Heh. Is it still running? I was fairly sure it had stopped, but maybe not. I expect Funimation to be picking this one up pretty soon; they're almost out of Dragonball, and this is a perfect replacement for them.

Wraith
                          Reality Sector Visitor Badge #9572

Comment

Heh. Is it still running? I was fairly sure it had stopped, but maybe not.

I was talking about the manga, not the anime.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Next question: what's the difference between Robotech and Macross?
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

--"I was talking about the manga, not the anime."

Ah. Should have known.

--"what's the difference between Robotech and Macross?"

Robotech is a highly edited version of three Japanese series, including Macross (the other two being Souther Cross and Mospeada). Yes, someone (named Carl Macek) spliced three completely unrelated series together and wrote a dub that had little to do with the original story of any of them. That's Robotech. You can imagine the kind of copyright issues surrounding this series...

I've seen a little Robotech, but not much. Same for Macross. From what I've heard of the other two, they're not worth it, and the only reason most people I know have anything to do with Robotech is nostalgia. It did air on TV in the US, so more people have seen it than Macross.

Wraith
                                We all live in a yellow subroutine.

Comment

Working...
                                X