Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocaine, Ecstasy Mutate Human DNA

Everyone:

Heh. Found this rather interesting article while wandering around Yahoo! earlier tonight. Read it and contribute to this thread as you see fit afterwards.

Gatekeeper

Italy study: Cocaine and Ecstasy cause DNA mutation

Fri Dec 5, 3:49 PM ET

ROME (Reuters) — Cocaine and ecstasy not only cause addiction and raise the risk of cancer but also provoke genetic mutations, Italian scientists said Friday.

"Cocaine and ecstasy have proved to be more dangerous than we had imagined," said Giorgio Bronzetti, chief scientist at the National Center for Research's (CNR) biotechnology department.

"These drugs, on top of their toxicological effects, attack DNA provoking mutations and altering the hereditary material. This is very worrying for the effects it could have on future generations," he said.

The use of ecstasy, a drug popular at all-night dance parties, increased by 70 percent between 1995 and 2000 according to a United Nations report published in September.

Ecstasy and amphetamines have overtaken cocaine and heroin as the fastest growing global narcotics menace, the study said.

The CNR report, which took more than three years to complete, said animal tests had shown a direct relationship between ecstasy and cocaine intake and the effects on DNA.

"In other words, the longer the time frame of drug consumption, the greater the damage to DNA," Bronzetti said.
    Well, now we know why Little Jimmy and Little Susie have blue skin, scales and red, beady eyes.
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Re: Cocaine, Ecstasy Mutate Human DNA

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
    Well, now we know why Little Jimmy and Little Susie have blue skin, scales and red, beady eyes.
    That reminded me of an american politician or something who used t drink some metalbased solution to protect himself from potential exposure to anthrax and he turned blue, permanantly

Comment

Yeah, I remember running across that story earlier this year. The "Blue Effect" wasn't permanent, though. Freakin' funny nonetheless — I think it was some local politician in Montana. Talk about "Smurfin" out!

OK, back to the topic on hand: Namely, in order to create the X-Men, those of the childbearing generation must snort cocaine and use Ecstasy.

Gatekeeper
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

I predict 1 hour old infants going around like the Duracel rabbit.

Comment

Next they'll be telling us eggs are bad for us...oh...I guess they already did...

Comment

What a stupid study.

Anything you take, anything alters your DNA in some way. At least anything that contains or induces the production of proteins. Which is about anything short of coins or monopoly peices.

This is the whole reason drugs work, especially biological and parenteral drugs. When your sick it's because a) there is a foreign body in your system (i.e. virus, bacteria), or b) you have a mutate gene (i.e. cancer, MS, hodgkins, etc.). When you take a medication for (a) that body doesn't only attack the cause, no this is only a small part. The medicine encourages the release of proteins to fight off the disease, these are called antibodies. With cancer drugs, the drug is actually the protein that the mutate DNA strand is not producing, if taken long enough, or if the drug is in the exact right form then the DNA protein producer thingy (technical term) is either shut off or fixed.

Apart from drugs nicotine, alcohol (which I am on now), and even food trigger responses at a genetic level. Without the proper suppliments or with the incorrect ones your DNA will alter to suppliment this. Thus bodily addictions, eating disorders, alcoholism, etc...

Truly a waste of money that even a mere chemical engineer could of deduced with only a high school education in biology and 5 years in making biologics.

Blah

Beer!
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Truly a waste of money that even a mere chemical engineer could of deduced with only a high school education in biology and 5 years in making biologics.

oh, and MDMA isn't addictive ( though it is toxic ).
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                I predict 1 hour old infants going around like the Duracel rabbit.
                Energizer, dammit! I grew up with that ****ing bunny!

[/nostalgia rant]
                "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

Blah

Beer!
                  Maybe the Italians just sobered up enough to figure it out themselves?
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

You post pretty clearly when you're on alcohol, Japher. Has anyone ever told you that?

Comment

Anything you take, anything alters your DNA in some way. At least anything that contains or induces the production of proteins.
                      No. DNA lies deep in a cell and generally is never touched in any way, unless the cell splits. DNA is transcribed for various functions, but the original remains intact.

This is the whole reason drugs work, especially biological and parenteral drugs.
                      Drugs work in many different ways. Some actually attack various targets (e.g. chemo drugs), some work by blocking cell receptors, some neutralise other chemicals, etc., etc.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

No. DNA lies deep in a cell and generally is never touched in any way, unless the cell splits. DNA is transcribed for various functions, but the original remains intact
                        That's not true. There are changes to the DNA. that how virii work.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

mdma may not be physically addicting but ive seen hella people that go through a period in their life when all that matters is that friday and saturday, and then every other day of the week, when they can get E
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

No. DNA lies deep in a cell and generally is never touched in any way, unless the cell splits. DNA is transcribed for various functions, but the original remains intact
                            That's not true. There are changes to the DNA. that how virii work.
                            Why do you always have to take my replies out of context?
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

No. DNA lies deep in a cell and generally is never touched in any way, unless the cell splits. DNA is transcribed for various functions, but the original remains intact.

the earth is bathed in radiation. over the course of time, more and more dna is damaged; this is why it's strongly suggested to have kids younger rather than older (in addition to all of the other physical complications).

furthermore, although DNA replication is a pretty good process, there are enough mistakes to add up over time.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X