Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metereologist Expert Finds something interesting in Kuwait!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metereologist Expert Finds something interesting in Kuwait!

Meteorologist's work featured in national weather magazine

By Billy Cox
    FLORIDA TODAY

On May 25, while scanning the Air Force Defense Meteorological Satellite Program images pipelined into his desktop from 450 miles in orbit, Hank Brandli skidded at a nighttime photo of Iraq. It looked familiar. But not exactly.

Brandli retrieved another DMSP image he'd archived from May 3. He compared the two. The most recent photo showed a blazing corridor of light running the length of Kuwait, south to north, all the way to the Iraqi border. The image wasn't there on May 3.

"It's going right up to Iraq's oil fields," says the retired Air Force colonel from his home in Palm Bay. "Maybe I'm full of s---. Maybe all they're doing is building a highway to put in McDonald's and sell hamburgers. But why go that way? I think we're in bed with Kuwait. I think we're pumping oil out of Iraq to pay for this war."

That's an audacious observation. Especially considering those labyrinthine lines of exasperated motorists waiting to gas up at the fuel pumps in Baghdad. Not to mention the fact that Iraq's infrastructure officially won't be capable of exporting oil for another week or so.

But as the May-June issue of Weatherwise magazine makes clear, Brandli isn't a conspiracy zealot squinting for guppies in the fig trees. An article titled "Weathering History" profiles the Vietnam veteran as a pioneer in satellite meteorology who was unable to discuss much of his defense work until 1995. That's the year President Clinton declassified vaults of Cold War satellite images.

Now 63, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology alumnus isn't allowing multiple sclerosis to derail his passion for eye-in-the-sky technology. Three times a day, he checks his the latest unclassified downloads from American and Russian weather satellites filtering into his home-wired receivers. He found last month's DMSP nocturnal shots over Baghdad especially compelling.

"You look for patterns. Patterns tell you things," says Brandli, who has masters degrees in meteorology, aeronautics and astronautics, and the author of "Satellite Meteorology" for the Air Force's Air Weather Service in 1976. "With night photos, you can distinguish natural gas burnoff, which looks globular, from city lights. And suddenly, over just a few weeks, we've got this straight line of lights leading all the way to those beautiful wells in southeastern Iraq.

"If you're building pipelines, you've got to have power, you've got to have light -- trucks and personnel and food and all sorts of support. If I had to bet, I'd say it looks like we're running Iraqi oil through Kuwait. It would make sense, because Kuwait's got its infrastructure intact."

At the State Department in Washington, D.C., David Staples on the Future of Iraqi Projects desk says he doesn't know if Iraq's oil is flowing into Kuwait. He referred the query to the Defense Department. A DoD spokesman suggested contacting the Office of Coalition of Provisional Authority (OCPA) in Baghdad. OCPA was not immediately available for comment.

In Indialantic, retired Air Force Col. Hyko Gayikian isn't sure what to make of Brandli's speculation. He wonders if maybe Kuwait's lights were pre-existing features that were temporarily shut down during the war. (Brandli says no, that he checked other photos prior to the March war campaign and could find no such lights.)

Either way, Gayikian has nothing but praise for Brandli's abilities. He was Brandli's commander at the Southeast Asia Tactical Forecast Center's intelligence compound in South Vietnam beginning in 1966. "Hank is one of the most knowledgeable people in satellite meteorology I've ever known," Gayikian says. "He's a real pro, and he's stuck with it. He'll always call to tell me about unusual satellite pictures he's just gotten his hands on."

As the Weatherwise article makes clear, Brandli's judgment was a valued Pentagon asset during the Vietnam era. But the clandestine nature of his work often thrust him into thorny dilemmas, none more profound than the Apollo 11 splashdown in 1969.

Four days before America's first moon walkers were scheduled to return to Earth, weather photos from classified DMSP spy technology -- far more advanced than NASA's resources -- indicated the astronauts' designated Pacific landing zone would be under siege from "screaming eagles." Screaming eagles are thunderheads peaking out at 50,000 feet; full blown, they could produce winds capable of shredding the Apollo capsule's parachutes and killing the crew.

Under strict orders to share his photos with no one without "Special Access" badges, Brandli, then a meteorologist at Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii, felt there was no time to work through the tedious chain of bureaucracy. So he briefed Fleet Weather Central commander Capt. Sam Houston in a parking lot, took him into the vault and showed him the screaming eagle photos.

Unable to present the data as evidence, Houston nonetheless persuaded NASA to reconfigure a new landing zone and the Navy to reposition its recovery vessel, the USS Hornet, to safer waters. Houston never revealed where he got his information. Apollo 11 landed safely; sure enough, the original impact area became an untenable soup of dangerous wind and waves.

"That's part of what makes Hank so good at what he does, his ability to win people over," says Frank Iverson, an Air Force colleague in Hawaii who now lives in Castle Rock, Colo. "He has this wonderful, contagious enthusiasm for his work. He always gets up for the big game. It's like the Super Bowl for him."

Perhaps Brandli's Weatherwise tale, which discusses everything from cloud seeding in Vietnam to the recovery of "Corona" spy film ejected in tiny rocket canisters from satellites, will open up a new chapter in military history. "It's amazing to me," he says, "how many guys who've come up to me over the years and said, 'We read all these books on Vietnam, but nobody mentions the weather.' That's because it's been hushed up for so long. But with military operations, weather intelligence is always your first priority."

By no accident, then, does Brandli view the world, including politics, through satellite meteorology. One of his favorite photos is a DMSP nighttime view of North Korea. Wedged against the glittering metropolitan constellations of China, South Korea and Japan, the totalitarian state of Kim Jong Il is little more than a year-zero black hole.

"It's amazing to think about going to war with a country that's so bloody poor," Brandli says. "It's empty, it's vacant. They've got nothing. Not even electricity."

Brandli even views the 9/11 terrorist attacks through the lens of weather.

"They spent months, maybe years, planning this thing," he says. "But it had to come down to a last-second call, because there was a hurricane coming up the coast and a cold front moving out.

"Think about it: September is the worst month in the world to be planning anything in the air on the East Coast, because you're at the height of hurricane season. In fact, climatologically speaking, Sept. 3 is the worst day of the entire year to plan a flight. And yet, you had this day where the weather was perfect, from Maine all the way down to Washington. You can't plan that far out and hope you get lucky.

"What I'm saying is, I think they had a weather guy on their team to help set it up."

Another story the mainstream media won't pick up... and, thanks to Bush's Executive Order 13303, nobody can find out what Bush and company are doing with Iraq's oil. Considering Bush used taxpayer money to make nearly $15 million from the sale of the Texas Rangers, it's not surprising our tax dollars are funding Halliburton's new pipeline... and I wonder... will that oil money go back to the American taxpayers? or will oil companies take the profits? Why was Bush opposed to making some of the $87 billion loans instead of grants? well, you have to pay back loans... and Halliburton isn't in the "refunding taxpayers business"... they are in the stealing taxpayer money business...

related internet searches: Executive Order 13303, Kuwait pipeline

This would make a great movie... I mean, an evil leader inciting a war and then having his oil buddies' expenses covered by tax dollars by building a pipeline; then having the military occupy this oil rich country with no government... it's just a shame it's true!

I mean... WOW, Bush isn't a moron... although he plays one on TV

But don't take my word for it. Read the articles, do the searches, and then tell me if I'm wrong. Who knows? Maybe some Bushaphile can provide a reasonable explanation for this... *LAUGHLAUGH**

[Edit: fixed link]
    Last edited by Urban Ranger; December 4, 2003, 23:04.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

There should also be commercial satellites and other non-DoD satelite imagery out the wazoo. It's not like there's only one source in the world for imagery of that area.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Sava, there is something really bizzare about your post. It is Halliburton's job to increase Iraqi oil exports by improving infrastructure so that more money can pour into the Iraqi treasury. So, you see evidence that Halliburton is doing its job and you start saying that "we" are stealing Iraq's oil and that Halliburton is sinning and stealing by trying to make a profit!

Bizzare beyond belief.

But, very reminiscent of the good old days of Jimmy Carter and excess profits of the greedy oil companies. It was just this kind of thinking that nearly destroyed the US economy.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Fools! This is not an oil pipeline. This is a tunnel system used by Bush and his thugs to deport Iraqis suspected of terrorism to secret labor camps in Kuwait. Heck, throw in some women and children as well! They all are working in labor camps to build Haliburton's patented Fossil Fuel Deconstructor Metamorphing Ray of Translocation, whereby the oil underground Iraq can be instantaneously transformed into US currency and transported to the luxurious homes of Haliburton's elite.

Comment

&@thread
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

damn, I figured more ppl would be flaming me by now...

Ned: If this is just part of the plan and they have nothing to hide, why issue Executive Order 13303?

MtG: If you were an evil president doing evil things, would you allow lots of satelites to spy on you?
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
              Sava, there is something really bizzare about your post. It is Halliburton's job to increase Iraqi oil exports by improving infrastructure so that more money can pour into the Iraqi treasury. So, you see evidence that Halliburton is doing its job and you start saying that "we" are stealing Iraq's oil and that Halliburton is sinning and stealing by trying to make a profit!
              Taking it out through Kuwait could be done, but isn't really smart money, compared with fixing the terminals at Umm Qasr. Pumping crude for long distances is expensive.

The thread report is indicative of nothing, however, I think it's fair game (and the Iraqis would certainly be interested, if they had the authority to ask, just like any other resource rights owner) how the oil is transported, where and how it's metered, how transfer costs are charged.

The US taxpayer should also be interested, in how much work is necessary, and how much is goldplating to jack up profits on a government contract.

One thing that always makes me laugh about so-called liberals and so-called conservatives is that so-called conservatives rail about government waste, but they get in line to get their KY jelly and bend over justifying any corporate pork or excess.

Libs find reasons government has to do more of this, more of that (and get their KY jelly handy), but rail about corporate pork, whether real or just perceived.

Bizzare beyond belief.

But, very reminiscent of the good old days of Jimmy Carter and excess profits of the greedy oil companies. It was just this kind of thinking that nearly destroyed the US economy.
              Which is why US oil companies' profits have suffered soooo much...
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

MtG: I'm glad you thought of another reason why this may be important other than my tinfoil hat theory.

oh yeah, and thank you for not calling me stupid and stuff
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I can call you stupid if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    MtG: If you were an evil president doing evil things, would you allow lots of satelites to spy on you?
                    Uhhhh, POTUS doesn't control many of those. Lots of other people do, and positions of satellites (any LEO or MEO object above 10cm diameter) are tracked and monitored internationally. If I wanted to get off my ass and scan through some offline databases I have access to, I could dig up every commercial and military satellite (but not the classified data on the milsats) that has been in position to make imaging passes over that area. It's not too tough to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      MtG: I'm glad you thought of another reason why this may be important other than my tinfoil hat theory.

oh yeah, and thank you for not calling me stupid and stuff

Comment

[SIZE=1]... But, very reminiscent of the good old days of Jimmy Carter and excess profits of the greedy oil companies. It was just this kind of thinking that nearly destroyed the US economy.
                        Whoa Ned, you're getting sloppy. You forgot to put Clinton somewhere in there...
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

Working...
                        X