Moral and Ethical Issues in LOTR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral and Ethical Issues in LOTR

Do you think there is any moral or social commentary in the FOTR or the Two towers?

(need ideas for a paper!!!)

thanks...
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Anti-industrialization.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The consequences of greed (for power). Like when that guy could throw the ring in the lava mountain like the elf was telling him but instead he didn't, opening the way for what happened next. Also that other guy who wanted the ring for himself (bodurin or something?) in order to save his homeland and tried to snatch it from frodo. I also think that country next to morder, what was her name, signified Byzantium.

Comment

Trying to conquer the world with an army of evil creatures is bad.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

What an avatar!

Comment

Smoking stuff in a pipe clears the mind of shadows within...or something.
            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Even the smallest person can make an impact on the fate of the world.

Sacrificing crazy and/ or ugly people (Gollum) for the common good is A O.K.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Definitely anti-industrialization.

Also:

Power corrupts (effect of the ring on people)
                Humans are weak (fundamentally cynical view of human nature. Isildur, Boromir, the Nazgul... all succumbed to the lure of power, for whatever reasons. Though Boromir managed some redemption).

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Trying to be deep using LOTR isn't going to work
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

My opinion exactly

Comment

Hmm, something else:

Not all power corrupts. Power designed only to preserve, for instance, is ok (the 3 rings of the elves do not corrupt their keepers).

And of course, there is the concept of blood. The Numenoreans are set up as supermen (rewarded long ago for their service vs. Morgoth), but are diminishing due to mixing with "lesser" men. That's where Tolkein gets in trouble with people looking at LotR from a social message perspective...

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Society's treatment of people with mental disabilities, namely Multiple Personality Disorder .

edit - how come the nice tongue sticker outer smilie is all mean now?
                        "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

that it's ok to be a high-off-your-ass effeminate ****er if you're old and ancient, live in a forest, and won't shut up with your damned idiotic rhymes.
                          B♭3

Comment

Also guys, can you think of any way to relate any of these issues to the works of Kant (categorical imperative), or mill (utility), or nietzsche?
                            "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

no, but i can say that bombadil (fvcktardian fvckwit) was a mistake.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X