No announcement yet.

Best/Worst Movies of 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost in Translation is a great film..it is not flashy and has onyl a few obviously comedic scenes, but the chemistry between the leads is great, and Bill Murray's performance is astounding...shows he can pull of serious acting as well.

I found City of God too long...if you really like a movie you don;t start to notice the lenght-something I did do during City of God.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

it wasnt the greatest movie ever made. i think it is a really good movie for all ages and that it was pretty well written. Im not saying its even top 100 movies of all time, im just saying it isnt overrated.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
        Ned, got enough ammunition for when the islam-hollywood army comes to aptos? the hippies at UCSC will be the first wave! take cover!!!

and maybe on star trek christianity was somehow outmoded for the 24th century.
        MRT144 (btw, what does that mean?), Star Trek's vision of a future Earth was very communist in all respects except for its respect for "native" religions.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

mrt are my initials, 144 is the multiplication of the day of my birth, and the month of my birth.

as for star trek if communism is the society they lived in then obviously there would be no native religion. If it is uncomfortable for you to accept that a show that embraced some form communism was put on american telivision you can always turn the channel to pax and watch the 700 club.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

"Nemo wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME, that people seem to think. I think Monsters, Inc, Antz, A Bugs Life, and Ice Age were better."

Nemo isn't the greatest movie of all time, but it's certainly better than the soulless dreck that is Ice Age.

Worst movies of the year:
            Down With Love
            A View From the Top
            Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
              mrt are my initials, 144 is the multiplication of the day of my birth, and the month of my birth.

as for star trek if communism is the society they lived in then obviously there would be no native religion. If it is uncomfortable for you to accept that a show that embraced some form communism was put on american telivision you can always turn the channel to pax and watch the 700 club.
              Oh come on MRT. Respect for Native religions is pure Hollywood. Hostilty to Christianity is also pure Hollywood.

We have had numerous threads here on the communist aspects of Star Trek. When the show was first on TV, I never noticed it until one show when they found a capsule that had been floating in space for hundred of years. When they waked the passengers, one immediately wanted to be put in contact with his bank or broker or some such to check how much he was worth. That is when the people of Enterprise started looking at him strangely. Money in the Federation was apparently obsolete.

But, obviously, such a plot device didn't make much sense because in later shows, the crew had some money to spend on planet visits.

But the lack of religion except for respect for native religions like those particularly of Vulcan remained striking.

The new movie, Missing, carries on the Hollywood tradition of respect for Native religions and apparent hostility to Christianity.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by centrifuge

Don't they go in search of "the Judeo-Christian God" or what seems like a referene to him, in Star Trek V - the Final Frontier?
                No, I believe that was a Vulcan God.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  Lost in Translation is a great film..it is not flashy and has onyl a few obviously comedic scenes, but the chemistry between the leads is great, and Bill Murray's performance is astounding...shows he can pull of serious acting as well.

I found City of God too long...if you really like a movie you don;t start to notice the lenght-something I did do during City of God.
                  GePap, its plot is similar to the love story in Bridges of Madison country; but Lost in Translation is much more effective due to the chemistry. This is one outstanding movie.

Comment

Scarlett Johansson for best actress!

Bill Murray for best actor!

Bravo to each.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

No, I believe that was a Vulcan God.

I think that it was a Vulcan (Spock's brother) who went on the original search for God. ...but it was portrayed by Kirk and crew as possibly being the one true God. Which considering the audience hinted toward Judaism/Christianity/Islam

I will, however, be the first to admit that I'm quite fuzzy about the movie since it's been several long years since I last saw it.

Comment

BTW, you guys are really making me want to see Lost in Translation. Am I right to assume that the chic flick qualities of it don't go overboard?

Comment

It isn't really a chick flick by my definition of the word - it doesn't have the schmaltz and sappy dialogue of a chick flick. No, instead it is an arthouse romantic comedy, which is extremely well-crafted, but didn't really appeal to me on a gut level.
                          Drake Tungsten
                          Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                            Worst movies of the year:
                            Down With Love
                            A View From the Top
                            Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

I only saw View From the Top, from this list, but I agree whole-heartedly that it sucked in damned near every direction.

I'll have to wait until it comes out on video, but I certainly intend to see Lost in Translation...

...Should make my wife happy, since I rarely let her pick out romantic movies. I just hope that it doesn't set a precedent

Comment

Try to find a way to make her want to see lost in translation, then tell her that you don't want to see it, and eventually 'give in' to her requests. You'll seem like a good guy, and I guarantee you it's ten times better than that View From the Top crap.
                              Drake Tungsten
                              Albert Speer

Comment

Bad Santa has been in theaters for a while now hasn't it? Anyway, I hated it. Very few even vaguely funny moments, lots of cringeworthy stuff. It was utterly turgid as Boris might say.
                                http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X