Hypothetical Political Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical Political Scenario

Assume for a minute that it was required that all US citizens read detailed reports on many different political issues, paying special attention to how much it would cost them individually in taxes, and then vote on those issues.

Would there be enough people voting us into the war on Iraq? Would there be enough people voting for law enforcement agencies? Medicare and Medicaid?

Do you think that many people have strong opinions on issues like these while being unaware of how much it costs them, or rather, how much less they'd have to pay in taxes if these programs didn't exist? Would such a system create a neo-libertarian paradise in America?
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Well, I certainly think that many Americans would vote Libertarian if they listened to the Libertarian viewpoint with an open, rational mind.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Hypothetical Political Scenario

Originally posted by orange
      . . . paying special attention to how much it would cost them individually in taxes . . .
      I certainly hope they'd also be given information on how much it would cost them if they didn't have these programs. For example, law enforcement may seem expensive at first, but having been in L.A. during the Rodney King Riots, I've seen what happens when law enforcement breaks down and anarchy reigns.

Comment

We'd be ruled by students, housewives and retirees
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

HAH! maybbe then america would realise commuunism is the only way...
          why no revolution :(

Comment

You mean have election day on Tax day, instead of as far away from each other as possible?

Yea that would be about right for increasing voter turnout and increasing the number of people who vote for such evil conservative ideas like killing old people,poisoning the air,etc:P

Comment

I always thought that would be a great idea...Of course then we would be a democracy. The government can't be letting us little guys run the show, now can they?
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Assume for a minute that it was required that all US citizens read detailed reports on many different political issues, paying special attention to how much it would cost them individually in taxes, and then vote on those issues.
                Then the wise would use the reports in order to twist it into something that supports their side, and we'd have politics as usual.

Unless you also assumed Americans were able to see through the politics
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

the long-silent moderate majority would finally be able to tell the extremists on both sides of the ****in fence to shut the **** up, because it's been their *****ing and their policy jerkfests that have ****ed up this country.
                  B♭3

Comment

no, just facts. The program, the cost per individual, etc.
                    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

Regular citizens would be unable to get through detailed budget reports, specially since the methadology used to calculate costs is as important as he numbers on the page, given that different methdologies give you widely different numbers. And some things can't be measured financially with any possbility of accuracy.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

let's put it this way then - the exact amount they'll be charged. Like a preemptive bill.

Comment

The political party that forced people to do those detailed readings would be punished by voters at the poll, and the opposition would be elected on a "No mandatory reading" landslide.
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

let's put it this way then - the exact amount they'll be charged. Like a preemptive bill.
                            How do you meausre the cost to them of not having the service? That is the crux of the problem.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                              Well, I certainly think that many Americans would vote Libertarian if they listened to the Libertarian viewpoint with an open, rational mind.

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X