Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protectionism Vs Free Trade (Historically)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protectionism Vs Free Trade (Historically)

This is currently discussed in the 'Raise tariffs on America' thread, but there are a couple of topics there and since I am not an economist, I would appreciate if someone would clarify this issue for me separately. I am interested how this developed historically.

Spiffor mentioned South Korea. Is it not true that the relative closeness of their market during their biggest growth had a positive effect on wealth of the country?

Also, from everything I ever read, USA were always one of the most protectionist countries in the world, the trend reversing only after WW II.

Is it true that most countries that are nowadays economic (industrial) giants and thus proponents of free trade, built up their power behind strong protectionism?

If so, how can someone argue against protectionism, especially in countries that aspire to industrialize, or those that are expiriencing a crisis?

Oh yeah, if anyone knows examples of countries that managed to industrialize under a free trade regime, I would also appreciate that.

And no, tourism is not an industry

Comment

Too bad a 5% change does a stab hit and is only possible every 10 years...

Comment

I am guessing this is a reference to Europa Universalis II or Victoria, none of which I have played.

How about real world?

Comment

Bump. This is a good question. A side question is why some countries with the highest per capita GDPs (US, Japan) have only a small part of their economy that is traded.
          Last edited by DanS; December 3, 2003, 01:39.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I recemend high tariffs, lots of loans to build railroads and industries, and converting all of your POPs in recently madagascar into soldiers.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh yeah, if anyone knows examples of countries that managed to industrialize under a free trade regime, I would also appreciate that.

Well England for one. Though there is some debate whether it was truely free trade... it was more free trade than anywhere else at the least .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Free trade benefits the world leader. Before England was the industrial powerhouse of the 18th and 19th centuries, it was quite protectionist.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Is it true that most countries that are nowadays economic (industrial) giants and thus proponents of free trade, built up their power behind strong protectionism?
                  I think so, but then I am no historian/economist either.

Would this be a reason to increase Tariffs to encourage industrial development?

You say tourism is not an industry, but what about a country that uses capital from tourism to build other industries under free trade?
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

I think a sound approach, after the creation of modern nationalism, is to consider each economy as "national" meaning looking out for its own benefit. That way concepts such as free trade or protectionism are easily interchanged according to each particular situation to ensure the benefit of the "national economy". So a nation can have free trade where it knows it suits it (it can overtake the competition or at least have a shot) or protectionist at other times when it knows it cannot compete (the recent steel tarrifs are a good example).

Comment

I think a sound approach, after the creation of modern nationalism, is to consider each economy as "national" meaning looking out for its own benefit.

Problem being that this economic 'nationalism' may lead to other nationalism which just isn't good. It generally starts to lead to autarky (we can make everything for ourselves) which has a bad effect.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Never said anything different
                        Thanks for explaining to me what autarky means BTW

Comment

Problem being that this economic 'nationalism' may lead to other nationalism which just isn't good.
                          The lack of it could be bad however; like what we're seeing in the EU, with the beitching and moaning over foreign politics and two ruling countries reaping all the benefit for allowing their economies to sag because of it.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Actually in economic terms the EU is a "national economy".

Also to dispell any potential confusion in regard to Imran's post: I said how things are best perceived as, not how "they should be or should not be".

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                              Bump. This is a good question. A side question is why some countries with the highest per capita GDPs (US, Japan) have only a small part of their economy that is traded.
                              Nations with small economies have to export in large quantities to get the lower average cost with larger quanities. They also need to earn foreign exchange more than the larger nations.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X