No announcement yet.

The Case for Tuition Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because they don't think on the long term. And that's why we have government.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
      Because they don't think on the long term. And that's why we have government.
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

The problem with Shi's and Boris' thinking is that the income of the family that the student comes from should be of any importance. In my opinion it shouldn't be, at all. Opportunity for all.
        In my case I got huge amounts of financial aid but still came out of college with $20,000 in loans if all I got was subsidized loans I would have well over $100,000 in loans ATM while all of my friends with rich parents wouldn't be paying a cent. That hardly seems workable and if that was the case I wouldn't have had to go to a college that was a good bit worse than the college I ended up going to so I could have cashed in on merit money.
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

In my case I got huge amounts of financial aid but still came out of college with $20,000 in loans if all I got was subsidized loans I would have well over $100,000 in loans ATM while all of my friends with rich parents wouldn't be paying a cent. That hardly seems workable and if that was the case I wouldn't have had to go to a college that was a good bit worse than the college I ended up going to so I could have cashed in on merit money.
          You seriously think that taking the university education out of the equation would remove the difference in wealth between you and your friends of rich parents? That difference would continue no matter what.

The fact is, you were insightful enought tonotice that $20k worth of debt is a piddling investment for the massive gains it provides you over your career.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue

You seriously think that taking the university education out of the equation would remove the difference in wealth between you and your friends of rich parents? That difference would continue no matter what.

The fact is, you were insightful enought tonotice that $20k worth of debt is a piddling investment for the massive gains it provides you over your career.
            Well the gap between me and my friends with rich parents is a lot smaller in the current situation in which I was able to go to the best school that accepted rather than the best school I could affort (which would have been a much much worse school if it wasn't for need-based scholarships).
            And you're right $20,000 is nothing, with subsidized interest rates I can pay off ridiculously easily while saving a good amount of money, but if I had to pay what I would have had to if I didn't have need-based scholarships, I'd be living on beans, rice and pabst in order to meet my student loan payments.
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

All education here, from primary to universities, is payed by the government.

Isn't it great
              I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

What opportunity is there in reserving university for just the rich?
                Oh, university spots shouldn't be reserved for the rich, by any means. They should simply be reserved for those who can afford them.
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X