So Where Do I Go Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Where Do I Go Now?

Again things have gone awry, as per usual. But this time I have been shafted by my previous employer (you have probably read this thread before). How do I get around this? How do I prevent this from happening again? (I can't see that there was ever any preventative measure for this one). I am diligent and hardworking and conscientious, but still I get screwed. I want to be valued and have a decent job, but what could I do? And how do I get past this sh*t of the past few days?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

...and trust? How can I ever feel comfortable when an employer can just pull this crap without warning or reason?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well all I can think of is when you are offered a job somewhere talk to other employees to see how the place is before you accept. Also you could do research on the internet on a company.

I would maybe try to find a friend you had when you were working their give you a reference for the job. I would start looking for a new job right away.

I doubt that all boses that are out there will treat you in the same way. Most companies like to hang on to talented and hard working people.
      Donate to the American Red Cross.
      Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Go on welfare.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I know that most employers will get rid of you once they feel you are no longer worth keeping on. Most of them dont really care about you, especially with how the job market is these days. I dont think I would trust an employer all that much. They would have to earn it first.
          Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

But I just don't seem to be able to secure a decent position, and now things are looking even worse.
            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              But I just don't seem to be able to secure a decent position, and now things are looking even worse.
              Well I have been unemployed for about 6 months now so I know what you mean. I have been on several interviews, but no one seems to want to hire me. One time I went to interview for a position, the person that was leaving was going to chose his own replacement. In the end I found out that the guy picked his friend and hired him. SO when I went on the interview I never had a chance to get the job.

It may take a while, but I think you will get a job sooner or latter. I have heard of some people going for 9 months to a year before they found their next job, and this is in the US were the unemployment rate is much lower then in Europe.

I would sugest seeing if you have a friend somewhere that can get you a job. I mean it seems like that is the only way you can get a job sometimes.

Comment

One thing I keep on reminding myself is this: At least when I apply for a job I have a chance at getting a job. Even if the chance is only 1%. Eventually if I apply for enough jobs I will get an offer. If you sit around and do nothing you have a 0% chance of getting a job. So it is better to try to get anther job then to just sit around and do nothing.

Comment

**** happens Provo... it's part of life. If you aren't your own boss, you are subject to this kind of crap. My advice, if this bothers you so much, would be to become some kind of entepreneur or start a career where you work for yourself.

After my experiences with an evil corporation, I decided I wouldn't work for one ever again. Sure that limits my options, but the stress it caused me wasn't worth the job. Life is a finite period of time... you shouldn't waste it being miserable. Do what makes you happy.

If you find yourself bored and looking for revenge, find out where the guy lives... go to a library or store that has magazines, get those little cards, and sign him up for like 100 magazines and check the box "bill me later"...

There are also other ways you can **** with him if you want.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: So Where Do I Go Now?

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Again things have gone awry, as per usual. But this time I have been shafted by my previous employer (you have probably read this thread before). How do I get around this? How do I prevent this from happening again? (I can't see that there was ever any preventative measure for this one). I am diligent and hardworking and conscientious, but still I get screwed. I want to be valued and have a decent job, but what could I do? And how do I get past this sh*t of the past few days?

Biochemist or not, if you work for someone else, you work at their discretion.
                    Start your own biochemistry business, but then you still work for someone.
                    You're just screwed, like everybody else.
                    At least you're not alone.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ever thought of changing career?
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

"**** happens Provo... it's part of life. If you aren't your own boss, you are subject to this kind of crap. My advice, if this bothers you so much, would be to become some kind of entepreneur or start a career where you work for yourself."

It's a bit rough starting a company if you have no long-term experience or contacts in the industry.

Comment

Did you read what I said in your other thread about getting legal advice PH?
                          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                            Ever thought of changing career?
                            Damn right. I moved out of science. Now I am not really even in science but related and screwed there. Perhaps the sciences are a poison challace for me. I want to work, but I don't want to be subject to that kind of humiliation again.
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Ever thought of changing country?

Comment

Working...
                              X