Recommend me a PDA...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a PDA...

I'm drooling over the prospect of a new PDA.

My current Handspring Visor Deluxe is great, it does all the basics, but for my college graduation present I'm hoping all the family will just pool money together and the let my wife buy me a PDA.

I want to stay with the Palm OS. I like it, and it works for me (and is Mac compatible), but I have been looking around and I can't seem to find a PDA with the features that I'd like to have:

WiFi-My graduate school is totally wireless so this would be a big help.

Keyboard-not a must, but a keyboard attachment would be nice.

Digital camera attachment-how good are these for a PDA as opposed to just getting a regular ol' digital camera? I'm guessing probably worse quality, but how much worse?

MP3 module- duh.

Memory expandablity- of course, if it has a slot for expansion cards such as a digital camera it better have the ability to expand its memory through the same card port.

I've already got the Sony Clie line as a probably choice but would appreciate feedback.
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

tungsten t3, i've heard is nice. i've still got my m505 from graduation, but i want the t3.
    B♭3

Comment

That's the one with the expanding screen, right?

Expanding screen is nice, but how expandable is it in other ways, or since palm bought handspring have they adopted some of the expandability options of yore?
      Last edited by FlameFlash; December 1, 2003, 15:52.

Comment

here ya go.

i haven't actually used one yet; up until this point, my only experience with it has been playing with the display models. the heft is all right, color is bright enough, and it's got two expansion slots that i can remember.

the biggest flaw from what i've read is that its battery life isn't as long as it could be, particularly if you use some of the luxury features, like the mp3 bit.
        B♭3

Comment

oh! one thing i liked: it doesn't have a set writing area anymore.
          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
            oh! one thing i liked: it doesn't have a set writing area anymore.
            always a plus.

Do you know if it still uses the same stylis strokes as the original or do I need to learn a new alphabet?

I've checked out the site, it looks great, but I just can't find myself a WiFi card.

The Tungsten C has one (or was it W) but I'd much rather the T3 for all of the extra other things.

Low battery life, eh if used with the MP3 player... that's too bad.

Comment

yeah, i don't think it has wifi.

a bit tragic. i wish you could get these things customized, you know? kinda like dell and such. that'll probably come, but in a few years...
              B♭3

Comment

customization is almost a must, it is surprising that one can't quite yet.

You're probably right though... customized ones are probably so much more expensive (as a possibility) that palm just thinks it'd be a waste to do it yet.

While the T3 is great, what of the Sony Clie line? Have you heard anything there or is Sony evil on that score?

Comment

i haven't heard much, honestly, outside of them being nice but expensive.

i'm sure the clies are good models, and the few i've seen look really well done, but i'm not so much a fan of the minikeyboards some of them have built in.
                  B♭3

Comment

That's my other big question.

Why aren't you a fan of the mini-keyboards? Are they just too small to be functional? I've been looking, and haven't found, a picture of "keyboard actual size."

Comment

even though my fingers are on the small end, i have a big problem with trying to type on those tiny-ass buttons. what are you supposed to use to press them? you're all thumbs if you try them; and you don't want to hunt-and-peck. i am, of course, referring to the ones that are built-in--not the ones you can get as an accessory.

now, the accessory keyboards, i have no problem with. i don't use mine, mostly because it's a hassle to carry around (as big as the palm itself...), and i've gotten quite used to the graffiti, so...
                      B♭3

Comment

I've gotten quite efficient with the graffiti as well, my keyboard broke (had an accessory one too) but I guess what I'm going to have to do is find some of these on display at BestBuy or some other electronics store and actually give them a try first, eh?

Comment

Working...
                        X