No announcement yet.

New News -- Cincannitti Police Officers Killed an Attacker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to the doctor on the Greta show, the cuffing of the hands behind the back was itself a source of he problem with such a fat individual. The cops may not have known this as many of us did not know this. But if they had known, they should never have cuffed him behind the back in the first place. But, once he started having difficulty breathing, what they should have done is uncuff him and roll him on his back.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• The man may have been big enough to have Pickwick's syndrome, a condition of respiratory restriction due to obesity. Very overweight people have large amounts of fat in their abdominal cavities, which limits the motion of the diaphragm, hence reducing the amount of air that they take in with each breath. Over a long period of time this condition then causes some degree of congestive heart failure. The combination of respiratory restriction secondary to obesity, and the resulting secondary heart failure is known as "Pickwick's Syndrome", after a Dickens character. Such a person would be very vulnerabnle to anything putting more limitation on his breathing because not only would he start out with less respiratory reserve, but also his heart would be pumping whatever O2 and CO2 he was able to exchange less efficiently. Cocaine and PCP reduce myocardial efficiency even further, aggrevating the condition.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• One good thing that may come out of this tragedy is that police across the world may alter their procedures when dealing with people of the girth of the victim.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• I'd love to hear some suggestions? It had just taken six cops 10 min or so to subdue and handcuff a 350 lb guy on PCP. I would guess that their first thought is not gonna be "we better let the fat **** go or else he'll suffocate".
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• SpencerH, I was thinking more of cuffing him with his hands tied behind his back and/or forcing him to lie on his belly.

Comment

• I'd love to hear some suggestions? It had just taken six cops 10 min or so to subdue and handcuff a 350 lb guy on PCP. I would guess that their first thought is not gonna be "we better let the fat **** go or else he'll suffocate".
              He wasn't breathing, what threat did he pose in that condition? And the struggle was between the guy and 2 cops, that doesn't mean he could overcome 6 or more cops once he came to lying on his back recovering from a near death experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH
                I'd love to hear some suggestions? It had just taken six cops 10 min or so to subdue and handcuff a 350 lb guy on PCP. I would guess that their first thought is not gonna be "we better let the fat **** go or else he'll suffocate".
                Considering this guy was all fat and no muscle, and considering how clumsy and uncoordinated his attack on the officer was, I can't say for certain how much of a real threat he was -- he had to be subdued though, no question -- and arrested.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• what did I just say Mr. Fun.

Really fat people are really strong. Are you saying this guy has the same strength as me (I weigh 140 pounds) because neither of us work out? Not a chance. Fat people have to be stronger to carry their own weight. Including their arms.

This guy was no weakling. And black people in general are stronger than white people. Yes that sounds racist, but the stats don't lie- just compare body sizes of the african/american population to the american/caucasian population.

In any case, I won't fault the cops for not knowing about cuffing a guy that large. I'm sure they were never trained on that. But a lawsuit is coming either way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                    SpencerH, I was thinking more of cuffing him with his hands tied behind his back and/or forcing him to lie on his belly.

Thats probably how he was positioned when he died.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker

He wasn't breathing, what threat did he pose in that condition? And the struggle was between the guy and 2 cops, that doesn't mean he could overcome 6 or more cops once he came to lying on his back recovering from a near death experience.
                      If they had noticed he wasnt breathing (and they should have monitored him while in their custody) they should have carried out emergency first aid. That doesnt mean you release him from handcuffs.

No, the initial struggle was 2 cops; 4 more turn up before he is finally cuffed. Its very difficult to handcuff someone that size especially if they are resisting.

EDIT some grammar.
                      Last edited by SpencerH; December 5, 2003, 12:19.

Comment

• Determining whether or not a guy of that size is breathing might be a little harder than you think. The motion of the chest and abdomen would be concealed by the thick layers of fat.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• I agree, but that doesnt change my point that once he is under their control (i.e. handcuffed) it is their responsibility to ensure that he comes to no further harm. They dont need to release him in order to ensure that happens however.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident
                            And black people in general are stronger than white people. Yes that sounds racist, but the stats don't lie- just compare body sizes of the african/american population to the american/caucasian population.

Are you vice-president of Cal's club now?
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

This guy was no weakling. And black people in general are stronger than white people. Yes that sounds racist, but the stats don't lie- just compare body sizes of the african/american population to the american/caucasian population.
                              I don't know about this strength issue. When I was young, I was generally stronger than all my classmates even though I was not the tallest boy in class. I am white.

Comment

And black people in general are stronger than white people. Yes that sounds racist,
                                Because it is. And you are FoS. Blacks are no stronger than whites.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X