Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low blow to SD. The chargers sue to leave.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's really pissing me off is four years ago the Chargers demanded Qualcomm Stadium to be remodled to the tune of $30 million claiming that it would make the stadium a "football stadium" instead of a "baseball stadium" (I doubt they could even define the difference between the two). The city paid because the Chargers said they'd stay for 20 years yet here we are just under four years latter and the bastards are again saying pay me or I leave.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well, it San Diego's own damn fault for signing such a deal.

But as the saying goes... "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yes, but the problem is the owners pay big campaign contributions to the city council members so the council members are nothing more then the hired puppets of the owners. The council also has never seen a developer's penis which they did not want to suck. These whores have given away half of the open space in the city just so some out of town developer can turn a quick buck and then leave.

Comment

that won't change the fact that the Chargers suck, and will always suck

Comment

They went to the Super Bowl four years ago; that was the last year before the new contract came into effect.

Comment

it was more than 4 years ago. And they got lucky

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

The Redskins? Their stadium is privately funded. And their franchise is the most lucrative in the league. But the Redskins model isn't being used in most situations, because everybody wants a free lunch.
                Are you sure about that? Didn't Maryland pay to have it built? I think I remember there being state funding for the Redskins' stadium when it was first built. Or maybe it's the Ravens I'm thinking of.
                Pi = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706 79821480865132823066470938446095505822317253594081 2848111...
                Approximately.

Comment

The State of Maryland paid for the funding of the Ravens stadium, but not the Redskins. However, that doesn't mean that there weren't government funds used for non-stadium improvements, including roads, sewers, and other stuff.

Comment

This is a great chance for Los Angeles to gain a football team.
                    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

yes but they had a contract with San Diego. What good are contracts if teams can just break them anytime they want to?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                        The State of Maryland paid for the funding of the Ravens stadium, but not the Redskins. However, that doesn't mean that there weren't government funds used for non-stadium improvements, including roads, sewers, and other stuff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...e98/mdpoll.htm
                        Must have been the Ravens I was thinking of then. I hate both teams, anyway. And I hate the Steelers, just because they're the home team here.
                        Pi = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706 79821480865132823066470938446095505822317253594081 2848111...
                        Approximately.

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                          This is a great chance for Los Angeles to gain a football team.
                          How many times have they had that chance already?
                          What?

Comment

Proffesional sports teams cannot be sued for anticompetetive practices under the anti-trust laws. Congress gave them a get out of jail free card.

Wrong, Oerdin. Remember, the USFL WON its anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL in the mid 80s. Of course, since there were hardly any damages, they only got $1.

BTW the exemption means they can let in as few or as many new teams as they want and no one can sue them to force them to let more in.

Which is no different from any other franchise relationship, or do you think you can sue McDonalds to force them to open a franchise on your street? Companies cannot be forced to open more franchises if they don't want to.

However, they can't block their franchises from moving (taking advantage of better buisness oppertunities). This is the reason Al Davis can move all along California with the Raiders, but an MLB team hasn't moved since 1961 (Washington Senators to Minnesota to become the Twins) - cause the MLB has an anti-trust exemption.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Wrong, Oerdin. Remember, the USFL WON its anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL in the mid 80s. Of course, since there were hardly any damages, they only got $1.

Shows what you know. Those damages were punitive, therefore tripling the financial hit on the NFL.

Iirc, the joke at the time had Pete Rozelle go to the commissioner of the USFL after the trial asking "Can you break a $5?"

Comment

Working...
                              X