I lost my heart in.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venice. Beautiful, strange, on decay.

Otherwise, I'd love to see the city I sometimes walk over - Cologne before the war. Now its architecture only serves to hate war and modern architects. But I love to live here.

Prague - a nice gem, and largely refurbished after decades of neglect (at least, it looks that way)

Paiktis, I don't understand why you can say that Rome is Athens. From the week I spent in Athens, the city suffers from a complete lack of architectural history between 300 and 1850. Rome (two weeks) between 700 and 1500.
    (That of Cologne got erased in 1942-1945. Last report of the Wehrmacht about Cologne: "The pile of ruins called Cologne was left to the enemy" )
    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

No you're (more or less) right about the architectural history between the two cities. But both cities are overbuilt, have horrible drivers and pretty much the same people. They also seem to be built in an anarchistic fashion despite some very good spots in Rome, that's why I said they have the same "vibe".
      Last edited by Bereta_Eder; November 27, 2003, 15:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Verres
        Sorrento (Italy).

Dont know why i love it, but i do.
        I think I know why you love it

Anyone here tested the true "Limoncello di Sorrento"?
        ... slurp

Saluti
        "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
        The trick is the doing something else."
        — Leonardo da Vinci
        "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
        "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Wine
          Anyone here tested the true "Limoncello di Sorrento"?
          I don't know if it's the true Limoncello di Sorrento, but while in an Enotica in Florence I tried something called Limoncello di Sorrento. Was very nice, almost like a sharper version of Mandarine Napoleon. Would love to see what a Margarita made with it would taste like
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Galway, Ireland (in fact most of southern Ireland) and Cinque Terre.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I assume Limoncello is a liquor but what is added to make Limoncello di Sorrento?
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I would have said "Prague" a few weeks ago but I had a conversation with a friend who claimed you can't really know a city without having spend more than a couple of days' time there. He personally thought Prague was all surface but loved Berlin which I think is the ****hole of the western world, and although I doubt anything will get me to change my mind about the latter city I guess I'll wait on Prague until I've spent some time there.

A city with both surface and content is of course my spiritual home town of Stockholm, beauty on water etc. Love it. One thing it doesn't really have that I love in a city is monstrous scale and size, so I guess I'll have to put Moscow down too, that was wonderful.
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I think my heart is still here in Edmonton, though only because of my lack of worldliness. I mean, I'm not kidding myself: I know it's an industrial city, but it's got quite a few redeeming features (the people, the river valley, little crime, etc.).

I also like Vancouver quite a bit. It's got a lot more crime and seediness, but there're also many beautiful areas scattered about.

Toronto and Calgary are just pure crapholes, obviously.

Los Angeles was fun, but scared the hell out of me at times. The morning-smog-cover-giving-way-to-blinding-heat didn't exactly turn my crank, either.

Orlando was boring, but Cocoa Beach was quite nice. Excellent climate they have down there in Florida.

But if I had to choose a place where I left my heart, it'd have to be the Rockies. Banff is overcrowded, Canmore's nothing special... but stick me in a little shack in Jasper or Radium or Panorama (!!!), and I'll be happy. I've never been more at peace than the day I drove from Radium Hot Springs, through Invermere, and on to Panorama, while listening to my Eels cd over and over again. The deciduous trees were turning yellow and they were scattered about in the sea of evergreens. It was like a painting.
                  "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                  "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                  "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    I assume Limoncello is a liquor but what is added to make Limoncello di Sorrento?
                    It's just a type of Limoncello that originated in Sorrento, IIRC. Limoncello is a type of fortified liquer made from lemons.
                    Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Paris, Rome or Vancouver are good.

But Prague..... Great architecture, great alcohol.
                      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Las Vegas.

Comment

I think I know why you love it
                          v true i brought back 5 bottles but they all got drunk a long time ago
                          Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Working...
                          X