Movie Trilogies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Trilogies

I just got the "Back to the Future" box set...

I love those movies. R. Zymecis (spelling?) is one of the best directors Speilberg ever had.

Yet, it got me thinking about the other trilogies, and how it has become a dying art. Star Wars was great, of course. Then there is Indian Jones, Evil Dead, GodFather, and I count Alien(s)... Any others?

Terminator and Matix has been the first in a while, right? Yet, Terminator wasn't really written as a Tril...

Was Unbreakable suppose to be a tril?

Just wondering, I like 'em...

Monkey!!!

Die hard is another quality trilogy.
    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

True, I am sure there are more and I am just forgetting. I think it will become my aim, to collect 'em all... Please help, there was another I though of like 10 minutes ago and can't remember it either.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
        True, I am sure there are more and I am just forgetting. I think it will become my aim, to collect 'em all... Please help, there was another I though of like 10 minutes ago and can't remember it either.
        I thought that Indiana Jones was a continuing series- isn't there meant to be another one? Which would make it a tetralogy...

And soon there will be an Alien 5, and 3 was pretty damn bad in many respects (too mny cooks definitely spoiled the broth on that one). Godfather 3 could best be described as an error, too- every scene in which Sofia Coppola appears looks like the cast are trying to find out who just farted. Her directing is much better than her acting....

Also, if the Star Wars series is now at number 5, does that really count as a trilogy, or 5 parts of two trilogies, given that the the last two films have allegedly been part of the prequel to the first three?

You of course have the third part of Lord of the Rings to look forward to.

There were only two French Connections. More than three Police Academies and Lethal Weapons, unfortunately. Three Orson Welles Shakespeare films: Macbeth, Othello and Chimes at Midnight.

Alas, studios now simply see dollar signs, so any successful film is franchized to the nth degree in order to extract as much profit as possible- quality is not paramount.

Isn't a Blade III in pre-production? And presumably Queen of the Damned is viewed as Interview with the Vampire part deux, so if there's another Anne Rice novel with a similar theme that might count as a trilogy. Of sorts....

I think there were three Shaft films, but possibly four. There was definitely Shaft's Big Score and Shaft in Africa. Sidney Poitier has three bites of the cherry at Virgil Tibbs, if I recall correctly. Eastwood is up to 4 Dirty Harry's. Umm....brain fade... most of my film books are in London...
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Yes! Lord of The Rings is what I was thinking of... Still, I am looking for trilogies that were meant to be trils and not just some after thought..

I hear the Indian Jones 4 was put on hold because both Harrison Ford and Sean Connery denied the script (as if HF has the brain capacity left to act)

I liked Alien3, at least better than the 4th one. Leathel Weapons are classic, thanks Police ACedemy uke:, I've like both Blades, so that would be kewl... Any Anne Rice flick gets my vote, and Shaft? not a big fan, I hear the new ones with what's his face are planned for 3....

Also have those Clancy, Ryan flicks...
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Alien 1&2 were good, 3 was craptastic. So I don't count that as a true trilogy.

But the trilogy isn't exactly a fine art- they seem to mostly either fall into place (Star Wars), or luckily end up working out later on (Back to Future).

Lord of the Rings is probably the only true epic trilogy that was planned from the beginning and actually is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
              Die hard is another quality trilogy.

Even said it with a straight face
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I love the Die Hard movies. serious. I've been a Bruce Willis fan since Moonlighting- that was a cool tv show.

Unbreakable won't be a trilogy because the movie wasn't a huge success- though I liked it. I think I'm the only person who liked it.

Comment

so far haven't found anyone to watch the return of the king with me... won't be a minute as soon as I'm really into finding one though

Comment

Scream is a trilogy (?)
                    Scary movie will become a trilogy
                    American pie is a trilogy

but I understand why you left these out of your list...
                    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Rocky and Rambo both went over 3 didn't they?

Man with no name trilogy, 3 colours trilogy, there must be 3 pokemon films by now, Austin Powers, loads of National Lampoons, (how many Home Alones were there? Or Beethovens?)
                      And if you include Debbie does Dallas again, then that makes.....

Comment

The obvious one is Star Wars, conceived as a trilogy of trilogies. Sadly, the inspiration only held true for two films...

Hollywood doesn't think in terms of trilogies -- they think in terms of "franchises." The James Bond flicks are the gold standard.

Most of the series' mentioned here can't be considered trilogies, as the movie plots tend to be episodes and don't comprise an actual story arc. The fact that they stopped at three films is regarded as a failure.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Oh btw, Japher, it's "Zemeckis"
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                          X