Johnny Hart is in trouble. Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Hart is in trouble. Again.

Johnny Hart is the creator of the newspaper comic strip B.C., which has gotten in trouble many times in the past for using its position to evangelize readers, among other things. One strip showed a turtle complaining that his shell was covered with grafitti. This in itself is innocuous, but the vandalism in question included a swastika. Hart said that he only meant it as another example of grafitti...

But now there's been a bit of hell-raising over one of his recent comics. It's pretty simple and I'm too lazy to get an image, so I'll just describe it. In the first panel, a character walks up to an outhouse on a hill by the light of a crescent moon. In between it and the next panel, the word "SLAM" is written vertically in bold letters. The next panel shows just the outhouse on the hill; presumptively the guy is inside the outhouse. In the final panel, the guy says, "Is it just me, or does something smell in here?" That's it.

When I read it, the only problem I noticed was that it wasn't even the slightest bit funny, but it's been construed as (if you want, you can try to guess how it's offensive before reading, but it's pretty left-field; I couldn't get the frigging spoiler tag to work so I hit enter a bunch of times)

a hidden insult to Muslims. Between the outhouse door and the night sky, across three panels, there are six crescent moons in the comic, and the word SLAM is vertically arranged in the shape of an I. Ostensibly, the strip is implying that Islam stinks...

Hart denies it, and says the strip was only meant to joke about the overuse of the phrase, "is it just me, or..." and the power of human denial. Thing is, Hart is prone to this kind of joke. Any bets as to whether he meant it or not? I got this from a Washington Post article, BTW.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Well the thing that gives rise to this sort of conspiracy stuff is the total unfunniness of the strip. If it was funny no one would have cared. Because it doesn't even elicit a smile, people go looking for hidding meanings... things they didn't see the first time.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm distantly related to Johnny Hart.

Monkey!!!

Comment

Heh, long time since I saw a wallpaper gag :d:

I loved BC way back in the 70's but haven't read them since then. If this one is on the level it is now...

But insulting Islam? Get outa here...
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

Hart has used that same night scene of the out house hundreds of times in the past. Insulting Islam...

I don't think so... some people need to get a life
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

if this is an insult to islam, then i'm albert speer's dl.
            B♭3

Comment

Well, as long as JIMMY Hart's all right...

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
              "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
              "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

That moronic strip is still running?

How about "Family Circus", is that still popular, too?
                Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

You better believe it.

Comment

I used to like Family Circus

comics I like: Garfield, peanuts, family circus, there are some others I can't think of right now

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                      Hart has used that same night scene of the out house hundreds of times in the past.
                      He has? I don't remember it. Mind you, you're probably right about his intentions...
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

He probably wouldn't be getting this reaction if he didn't fill 3/4 of his strips with fundamentalist Christian BS.

Comment

If he did do it, it's pretty frigging subtle.

Comment

Re: Johnny Hart is in trouble. Again.

Originally posted by Elok

Hart denies it, and says the strip was only meant to joke about the overuse of the phrase, "is it just me, or..." and the power of human denial.
                            Actually, I can see how it's suppoised to be funny while keeping that in mind. Still pretty lame, but I can atleast see where he's coming from.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I wonder who the hell has the time to find these things, anyways.
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X