Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teacher has kids drink milk until they vomit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teacher has kids drink milk until they vomit!

SMITHFIELD, N.C. — A high school teacher was suspended for a classroom experiment that caused several students to vomit after drinking large amounts of milk.

Jeff Ferguson, a chemistry and physics teacher at Smithfield-Selma High School, organized the experiment last week to test the body's ability to neutralize acids in milk.

It was intended to show the body can handle only so much before a natural reaction occurs and the person vomits. Out of 42 students in two classes, at least five did just that.

The teacher's attorney, Lamar Armstrong, said students were not required to participate, and students had receptacles in case they became ill.

"If anybody wanted to quit at any time, they could have," Armstrong said.

Ferguson videotaped the experiment for later analysis, as he does all experiments. A photographer also was there taking pictures for the yearbook.

Parents alerted school administrators about the incident last Wednesday. Ferguson was sent home the next day and was suspended with pay Tuesday, pending an investigation by a law firm hired by the school district.

Meanwhile, Ferguson is seeking a court order that would allow him to return.

--------------

What in the world????
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

life in prison is what she/he should get

Comment

if it's true that he did say that they could stop any time they wanted to, then those kids are idiots and deserved to vomit. these will be the same kids who later will die of binge drinking even after their friends say that they've had too much.

that said, this guy is a nutjob and should be punished. jail is excessive, but a hefty fine, or a restriction on his teaching abilities...
      B♭3

Comment

Science in action, great teaching. Bet those kids will remember that lesson.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Jail is excessive, I agree. I think the teacher should have to drink milk until he vomits, that way he'll know what it feels like!
          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I would have preferred he got permission slips from the parents, but other than that, I don't see a problem here.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

genius. I wish we had such interesting experiments at school.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Yeah, I don't see the problem. The kids could stop whenever they wanted.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

upon closer examination of the article (I was just illustrating the typical knee-jerk reaction of an american in my above post), life in prison is too harsh.

The experiment is genious. The teacher should get a raise instead of life in prison.

Comment

Is it a crime to cause someone to vomit?
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

yeah, the kids are idiots. when your body's starting to feel sick, that's a sign that just maybe you should stop that.

outside of that...
                      B♭3

Comment

The publicity will be enough of a punishment, the expirement was optional thus the kids are just idiots.

Permission slips would've been good though.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I think it was a cool experiment.

. . . wait a minute!?! Forty-two students in a class!?! What the hell is going on at that school!?!
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

bah! my classes had more students than that, and look at how well I turned out

Comment

42 students in two classes
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X