What classic books should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What classic books should I get?

There's a store in my town that sells classic works of literature for between £1-£5 in paperback. I want to stock up on my classical collection and expand it beyond a tattered copy of, *cough* The Hitchhiker's Guide. Any suggestions on what I should get?

A brief summary of the work would also be appreciated.

So far, I want to buy:

Wuthering Heights
    Dante's Inferno
    The Prince
    Brave New World
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

These are the ones for which copyright has ended, right?
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

*shrug* Any book and I'll see if the store or some of the second hand books stores have it.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
        These are the ones for which copyright has ended, right?
        yep, thats why they able to sell them so cheaply

Comment

Pilgrim's Progress is classic!
          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Theyre all good, except for the prince
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I liked the Prince. That's why it's already on my "to buy" list. I want other suggestions for that list!
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Les Miserables isn't just a good play . Great classic.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Theyre all good, except for the prince

besides being close to irrelevent whats wrong with the prince?

Comment

Stock up on Dumas. The Count of Monte Cristo or The Three Musketeers, for instance.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Emma
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

The Bernstein Bears. All of 'em.

Comment

"To Kill a Mockingbird"
                          "Uncle Tom's Cabin"
                          "Billy Budd"
                          Mark Twain's "Letters from Earth"
                          "Beat to Quarters"
                          "Cyrano de Bergerac"
                          and maybe "Two Years Before the Mast"

Comment

The Republic of Plato

Gone with the Wind (even with its anacrhonistic views on race, and distortion of Recnstruction, I enjoyed reading it for other reasons)

Grapes of Wrath

The Fire Next Time

Alexis Tocqueville's "Democracy in America"

Catcher in the Rye
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I own the Republic of Plato as well, great one

I strongly suggest

"Momo" and "The Neverending Story" of Michael Ende
                              Anything of Guy de Maupassant
                              Some russian literature as well, if the author's name end with kj, then is a good one
                              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Working...
                              X