Scam or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam or not?

When I was visiting my folks last, a scratch card thingy was dropped through the door. You were supposed to scratch off the foil over three windows and if the revealed objects (cheries, $ etc) matched certain criteria you won a prize.

Since I was bored, I scratched them off and found I had a winning combination, and I had won one of a long list of prizes. Here comes the catch, they ask you to phone in to find out exactly what you have won, and presumably the charge for the call is emormous.

But, it said on the card that if you had three whatevers (I can't remember what is was) you are GUARANTEED to win one of their 'star' prizes, all of which were quite nice (things like a holiday in the Bahamas, a stereo system, new computer etc). I think the least valueable gift I was to have won was worth about $200.

So, should I have called in or not?

Being a cynical bastard, I didn't, thinking there must be some catch, but I really don't see it. Surely they couldn't keep me on the phone for $200 worth?

What do you think?

You sure the cheapest thing wasnt a pen, or a book of vouchers worth 200 or something?
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

If it's long distance then it's a scam.

If they were legit they would probably have a toll free number or some easier way of contacting them.

just mho

Comment

If you phone that premium rate phone line, I predict that you'll be told to collect your prize from their next sales convention after first talking to one of their representatives about time-share apartments.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Any "deal" that requires you to pay (in this case, an expensive phone call) to win is a scam.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

have you read the small print (if there is any)?

often it's "you'll get the prize if you sign up for our cd-/book-/whatever- club".

...or they'll tell you that on the phone
            CSPA

Comment

Was it sponsored by an Ethiopian King?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think Sloww meant Nigerian...

anyway, the typical scam prize in this sort of thing is the vacation trip (usually to Vegas or Orlando). Usually, they require one or (usually) more of the following...

--you fly free at very specific, inconvenient dates/times
                --you get free lodging at a dirtbag hotel, sometimes with required meals
                --you are required to stay at an overpriced hotel
                --you are subjected to high-pressure sales presentation for whatever it is they're really selling
                --if you fail to meet their terms (to which you "agree" when you call back), you are charged a punitive amount (see meals at dirtbag hotels, above)
                --often states "gratuity not included," but these are required and payable by you
                --Yes, the call-in line is often an expensive auto-charge with a "looks like toll-free" prefix
                --As a bonus, just for calling in, you will be placed on (i.e., your personal info sold to) every "sucker list" out there and receive more spam than you ever thought possible.

Like that. There are many variations.

NEVER give them your OK.
                NEVER, EVER give them credit card info.

TANSTAAFL, baby.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I got a text message today telling me I had won £5000...I have won thousands of pounds before as well...my luck is amazing isn't it
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

An 0907 number...now let me see what the call rate is for that...0907 786 4854...now there's a surprise...£1.50 a minute
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Is a free lunch listed in the prizes?
                      -30-

Comment

There's no such thing.

Although I did have a free lunch today actually
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

...besides, I don't even think about picking up the phone for anything less than £6k
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

So I take it you don't work on contingency.
                            -30-

Comment

Oh I was on a course/brainstorming thing today at a local hotel so we had all lunch provided for us, as well as endless coffee and a free bar at the end
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                              X