Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come the issue of droid slavery is never brought up in star wars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How come the issue of droid slavery is never brought up in star wars?

Originally posted by Vesayen
    These machines are obviously sentient, some have emotions-they activley dont want to die-yet they are owned as property-even by the good guys.....
    It is, see Jabba's treatment of his droids.

The good guys droids are more like loyal servants (originally the concept for them comes from the bickering peasants in Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress).

The Imperial droids and Jabba's droids have restraining bolts fitted which means they have to do what they are ordered, the good guys droids don't.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

What about the Jawas? Slave trade and all.

Yet, in Episode 1 it was more about enslaving humans, they then switch to droids after the revolt, or whatever.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Yep, first thing they do is put restraining bolts on them, which Luke only removes from artoo to get the message to play.
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

this is soooo nerdy

Well, it is in a galaxy far far away, so maybe things are different there. Maybe the droids only seeem to have emotions. though C-3PO is clearly more human then some of the humans! though that said, Luke did save their lives, so maybe that is why they are so obediant?
          eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Every knave must have a slave.
            -30-

Comment

What I don't understand is why the other species in the galaxies, looking at the power structure of Evil, doesn't wipe a certain species from the memory of the Universe:

Emperor: Head Evil. Human. Destroyed the Republic, planets, dreams.

Darth Vader: Second Evil in Charge. Also human. Commander of battleship that destroyed above planets.

Luke Skywalker: Evil in Training. Human again.

Stormtroopers: Didn't see many non-humans there, nor among the Empires hierarchy.

Really, for the good of the galaxy, sterilize this planet now!

Comment

Forget about droids, how about stop molesting your computers. I mean, how would you liked it if someone was touching you like the way you do when you type?
                "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Depends who it was, and where.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

These machines are obviously sentient
                    Prove it. Their "emotions" could have been programmed/hard wired. The fact that humans developed attachments to them doesn't make any more human.

That's like saying your dishwasher or toaster is a slave; both are for strictly utilitarian purposes.
                    "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

No way, I respect my toaster and it respects me. We have an understanding, my toaster and I.
                      -30-

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay

Prove it. Their "emotions" could have been programmed/hard wired.
                        Prove that ours aren't.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH

Prove that ours aren't.
                          In some cases they are, but the effects of lack of early stimulation on the brain are evident in countless ways.

A droid fresh off the assembly wouldn't suffer from the same lack of stimulation. His personality, and utilatarian traits ( translation, protocol, etc.), are built in, just like software on your hard drive.
                          "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Ok, I don't need one way, just one example that proves our emotions aren't pre-programmed. (something like learning that something makes you sad isn't proof, that just means we have a "makes you sad" program which has an editable list of inputs that can trigger it. )
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Forget about droids, how about stop molesting your computers. I mean, how would you liked it if someone was touching you like the way you do when you type?

it's so easy to keep my computer turned on. besides, there are plenty of times when i fsck the computer, or finger the computer, or touch the computer...

besides, i know where every single one of the computer's buttons are... and i can press them repeatedly until the computer does what i want.
                              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                                Ok, I don't need one way, just one example that proves our emotions aren't pre-programmed. (something like learning that something makes you sad isn't proof, that just means we have a "makes you sad" program which has an editable list of inputs that can trigger it. )
                                The fact that our emotions are so perception-driven from moment to moment makes a strong case that we're not "pre-programmed". There's also the fact that we also heavily rely on past experience, and the perception of future outcomes, that shape our emotions.

The droids exhibit very little of that behaviour in the movies, IIRC. For the most part, their "emotional" reactions are taken from human cues about what is threatening, what is pleasing. The only droid, in the entire movies, who exhibits behaviour outside of these bounds is C3PO, and that's decieving because of his built-in duties as protocol/translation droid. For the most part, the rest of the droids in the star wars universe are service automatons, and don't exhibit anything close to sentience.

Comment

Working...
                                X