Bremer Pulling a Sharon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bremer Pulling a Sharon?

The army in Tikrit has started destroying the houses of suspected militants. In other words, leaving destitute wives, children, and parents of people who haven't even been proven to be in armed rebellion.

Yeah, copying Israeli policies - that's the way to run an occupation.
    Last edited by Ramo; November 18, 2003, 16:33.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Well, it doesn't exacly sound as if Gauleiter Bremer latest tactic is a good one to me. But it all depends on how they do it. It's one thing if they focus the destruction on houses used by the enemies for purposes of fighting the coalition. That might be a sound strategy. It's a whole different thing if they focus on destroying homes of people that are mere suspects and witch are occupied by innocent residents, like neighbours and familiy members. However, it's probably hard to tell the two appart.

Comment

I think it was pretty clear in a lot of these cases (according to this article). First couple paragraphs:

Tikrit, Iraq — In a tactic reminiscent of Israeli crackdowns in the West Bank and Gaza, the U.S. military has begun destroying the homes of suspected guerrilla fighters in Iraq's Sunni Triangle, evacuating women and children, then leveling their houses with heavy weaponry.
        At least 15 homes have been destroyed in Tikrit as part of what has been dubbed Operation Ivy Cyclone II, including four leveled on Sunday by tanks and Apache helicopters that allegedly belonged to suspects in the Nov. 7 downing of a Black Hawk helicopter that killed six Americans.

Family members at one of the houses, in the village of al Haweda, said they were given five minutes to evacuate before soldiers opened fire.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Hmmm.. figured this would raise a few more eyebrows than this...
          -Bokonon

Comment

This is, of course, completly justified.
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

The only problem is that they let everyone, including the bad guys, leave before they use the bombs.

I don't get it.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

dp
                Last edited by Ned; November 19, 2003, 03:49.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                  Hmmm.. figured this would raise a few more eyebrows than this...
                  So what do you want? It's a dubious tactic, depending on what's really going on. Are these houses containing weapons caches, or anything else of use? Or are they simply where one ******* lived, or where a group of *******s invited themselves in and met as a temporary staging area? Or what, exactly?

As a general rule, since there's no major shortages of buildings for people to live/meet in (including both *******s and innocents amd the whole range in between), it's pretty counterproductive to just flatten houses. The innocent get displaced, and the guilty meet at another house.

I think the problem is that US forces have been passive too long, (and were sent into the war with inadequate manpower in some sort of delusion that the Iraqis who are inconvenient would get killed in a standup fight, and the rest would be overjoyed), and mounting casualties and mounting frustration with being unable to operate aggressively are leading to overreaction.

I read in the news somewhere today where the commander of 82ABD used the old line about using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut but people need to keep in mind it's the meat in the walnut, not the shell the walnut used to be in, that you have to pound with the sledge.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                    The only problem is that they let everyone, including the bad guys, leave before they use the bombs.

I don't get it.
                    As a rule, we try not to just hose the neighborhood.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

As a rule, we try not to just hose the neighborhood.

Of course!

But, if the bad guys are not there, all we do is blow things up, potentially creating ill will. The bad guys get away.

Why not surround the places first, capture or kill the bad guys, and THEN blow up the buildings.
                      Last edited by Ned; November 19, 2003, 04:43.

Comment

Why do they warn and evacuate the women and children? Wouldn't it make more sense to kill them?
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

So what do you want?
                          I'd like to see a policy that doesn't:
                          1. Leave innocent people homeless.
                          2. Piss of the Iraqis some more. There's nothing like modeling our occupation policies after Israel to unite Arab Sunnis, Arab Shia, and Kurds together in violent resistance to the American occupation. This ain't exactly a victory in winning their hearts and minds.

Like a lot of things the US gov't is involved in, it looks like a totally idiotic and morally reprehensible policy. I don't see any redeeming sides.

It's a dubious tactic, depending on what's really going on. Are these houses containing weapons caches, or anything else of use? Or are they simply where one ******* lived, or where a group of *******s invited themselves in and met as a temporary staging area? Or what, exactly?
                          Just where they lived, according to the article (I skimmed through google news, and other sources explaining the reason seem to agree).
                          -Bokonon

Comment

And naturally, reasonable input from Ned.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                              Why do they warn and evacuate the women and children? Wouldn't it make more sense to kill them?
                              If I was a recruiter for jihadi, yes, by all means, that would be some great video footage.

If I was anyone else, no.

Comment

Working...
                              X