Video Card part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card part II

I went with the Radeon 9600 SE. I got it for 129.99, but there's a 20 dollar rebate and a coupon for a free half-life 2 copy. And, let's not kid ourselves, even if I didn't have a coupon, I'd still end up shelling out 50 dollars for HL2, so I'm saving $50 as well. So the end result is that it effectively cost me only 70 bucks.

The one thing that I'd like to know now is whether my computer is AGP, PCI, or both. I'd prefer not to open up the computer, and so I'm wondering if there's an easier way to check. It's a Dell Dimension 4100, PIII 1.0 Ghz, and it's current card is a Geforce 2 MX. It's 2 years and 5 months old.

If it's PCI, then I'm gonna have to return the Radeon, and the place I bought it only lets you return in 14 days. Am I gonna have to open up the computer, or is there an easy way to check?
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

It'll be AGP trust me. If you've got any card beyond a Voodoo-3 (and you do) it'll doubtlessly be AGP. Just open 'er up

On a simular note, I think I might wait for the 9800 and HL2 bundle thats coming along. Then again I need a general upgrade, but I don't know wether to do the g/card or the processor/mobo first (XP 1800).

Will the 9800 be a decent long term investment?
    Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Open up the computer.
      Would you rather hear "Yea! It's AGP!" and then 30 days later....it's not? Or would you rather save money and simply open it up?!
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Your also going to need a faster processor and at least 512 of ram for HL2 I think. No point strapping a ferrari engine to a Ford mondeo. The speed of your PC is as fast as its slowest components. At least in terms of dataflows and bottlenecks.
        Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Knevil
          It'll be AGP trust me. If you've got any card beyond a Voodoo-3 (and you do) it'll doubtlessly be AGP. Just open 'er up

On a simular note, I think I might wait for the 9800 and HL2 bundle thats coming along. Then again I need a general upgrade, but I don't know wether to do the g/card or the processor/mobo first (XP 1800).

Will the 9800 be a decent long term investment?
          It looks good, but I'm not gonna spend much money on a graphics card for a 30 month old PC
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

If your upgrading your card just to play H/L 2 then I think you're wasting money. The entire PC will need an overhaul to run it at the levels your card demands.
            Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

But why would anyone upgrade for HL2?
              Deus Ex 2 looks sooo much better.

Comment

Deus Ex 2 is less demanding though

Hopefully It'll run on my GF4 Ti4400.
                Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

If your upgrading your card just to play H/L 2 then I think you're wasting money. The entire PC will need an overhaul to run it at the levels your card demands.
                  Also for Halo, Simcity 4, and Railroad Tycoon 3. Those three games all are fine with my PC speed, but are more demanding video-card-wise.

Comment

Deus Ex 2 is less demanding though
                    But it's much better

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
                      (...) Simcity 4, and Railroad Tycoon 3 (...)
                      Don't buy that card, if you intend to play those two games...

Since I installed my card, those two games freezes my computer
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

It freezes your computer, but it won't necessarily freeze mine. Computers are mysterious things. Plus I consider Halo more important than either of those two games.

Comment

Sim never froze mine (except on the fastest setting which is a known issue and has nothing to do with the 9600 )

Still having problems ADG?

You know they very recently released new drivers? I think it was about a week or 10 ago, give it a go, you never know ( hey, that rhymes )
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

...I'm still trying to figure out how he's going to install that card without opening the computer...
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X