Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all those apologists for polluters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all those apologists for polluters...

Article

Another nail in the coffin of the "we didn't do it" argument. We need to stop walking on tippytoes and actually address global warming, all this "Oh, no it'll harm the economy, and my chance of re-election" or "its too much effort", or "it'll never happen", or "what difference can I make" needs to stop NOW!

The future habitability of this planet needs to be humanities top priority. I dont see it happening as long as we have separate nationstates, and populist democratic governments, but unless we do something, well, I'm sure we're all familiar with the consequences.

What measures have we, as individuals, taken to conserve power and be enviro-friendly?
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Other than doing something violent and illegal, I think the best thing to do is to organise like-minded individuals in your area to form an environmental organisation, or become a chapter of a global one. Then do stuff through the organisation, like educating people and pressuring the government.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Indeed. I am working on an article, with the aim of "getting things in perspective", removing the veil of conventional "common sense" conservative pragmatism that, while often clouding our judgement, in this case is threatening the very existence of the human race!
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Post it here when you are done
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

there is also the possibility of the 'Atlantic Conveyer' stopping in the next 20-50 years(no ones knows when exactly but it will and is already on its way to stopping), which could cause serious world wide damage to the main first world countries(USA+WesternEurope).

Still i'm half taking the view that it might be in the worlds best long term interest if it DID happen - with the kind of complete disregaurd for the world that the most powerful nations are showing in just about every area of policy, its might be a blessing in disguise.

Just make sure you live on high hills
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

If the atlantic conveyor stops, Britain will be returned to the ice age, we are on the same latitude as parts of Alaska/Siberia etc. I cant grow cannabis in tundra dammit!

child of Thor: You mean a self-imposed kick in the arse? If so, it'll work, either way the world will repair itself, the question is how much damage is done to us in the meantime.

Comment

well it would most likely be a non-deliberate kick up the ass, i'm mostly certain its not in the interest of our(UK) government to see this happen?
              Still since the early days of greenpeace and others, it's become obvious that enviromental concerns are low down on many governments lists.
              And so i'm almost resigned to the fact that when the big enviromental crunch comes, we will have acted too late to do much about it.
              I have a gut feeling(based on a few more scientific methods ) that we may have passed or are just about passing that threshold as we write?
              And yes i guess its a bit 'biblical' to think in terms of giant floods/great famines etc, but it would be kinda appropriate if it did end that way, what with all the 'christian' rhetoric the first world leaders seem to like to use
              Still i may move to the south of france and live on high ground, just to be on the safe side
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I've changed out all my incandescent lighting -- all of it -- for flourescent lighting.

I recycle my cardboard, aluminum, glass, and plastics.

I don't use much water.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Oh -- and I think the article's stretching it.

Comment

MM:

Why is the article stretching it?

Comment

A "one degree increase over the course of a century" becomes "a point eight degree increase over the course of thirty years".

That short a time period makes it a statictical blip -- add in the fact that we have had increased solar activity over the past few decades, and it becomes even more suspect.

Especially that bit about the land heating up faster being unnatural.

Comment

Re: To all those apologists for polluters...

Originally posted by Whaleboy What measures have we, as individuals, taken to conserve power and be enviro-friendly?
                        We as individuals could single-handedly reduce things like energy consumption and waste drastically overnight if we all worked together!

Unfortunately most people are ignorant or too lazy of what they can do to achieve this...

Personally I recycle almost all of my household waste - the only things I can't recycle are animal products such as meat, bones, dairy etc.

My lights where expedient are enviro friendly using about a quarter of normal energy and I turn off the main power in the living room which shuts down my PC equipment and TV - TVs on standby use up 80% of the power of TVs that are switched on...

Also I walk almost everywhere and aside from not owning a car, I think I have ridden on public transport on average about once or twice a week.

All this takes almost no effort whatsoever - just a slight change in habits.
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

People are not going to get too upset about global warming until they understand how it affects them personally. People in Minneapolis, for example, are not cowering in fear over shorter winters, warmer nights and longer growing seasons.
                          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                          X