Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question regarding free trade... cheap labor inhibiting innovation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a question. How come you have no posts according to your profile? Seems to me, after reading this thread, that you should at least have a couple...

Moderator having fun with a DL?

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex

Moderator having fun with a DL?

Carolus
      Are you kidding? They can't even understand the subject matter.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Re: A question regarding free trade... cheap labor inhibiting innovation?

Originally posted by Sava

I want to see Americans creating wealth for themselves. I want to see Americans working. I want to be proud of the products I buy. And lastly, I don't want to contribute to the human rights abuses that take place in the countries that corporations move to in order to make a few more bucks.

Discuss

Open trade agreements and liberal foreign work visas served this country well at the turn of the 20th century when the Industrial Age was kicking into high gear. It made our country the world power it is today. We still have the same open policies, however, the difference is: At the turn of the 20th, there was plenty of work for everyone including foreigners and now at the turn of the 21st, the foreigners are displacing American workers.

In the name of corporate profits, our government is in effect deciding which careers we can go into by flooding the market with foreign workers. The best example of this is in the IT industry.

Comment

Here's a very interesting article about China's tremendous increases in capacity over the last few years and what effect that could have on a world economy that wouldn't be able to absorb the increased supply. Can you say investment bubble? It happened to Japan in the 1980s, the US in the 1990s, and maybe China in this decade. If it does China will surely push exports even harder.

The dragon binges

Comment

The good news is that China imports most of the equipments of the new factories, and enormous amounts of raw materials and energy, which make their trade account not far from being balanced; also, 1.2 billions of potential consumers will progressively eat a lot of the output.

The bad news is that those new capacities are state of the art, which means that their low salaries competitiveness will be compounded by efficient equipments and systems.
            Statistical anomaly.
            The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
              1.2 billions of potential consumers will progressively eat a lot of the output.
              How would their domestic demand increase? People will lose jobs lost like people lost jobs here in the US and in Japan. Domestic demand is going to fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

How would their domestic demand increase? People will lose jobs lost like people lost jobs here in the US and in Japan. Domestic demand is going to fall.
                Fortunately this is not the case; the new factories (huge : 15000 employees a piece) create jobs for jobless (peasants giving up agriculture and coming to town, or people previously employed in state firm closed). They are really creating new purchasing power.

Good news, is not it ?
                Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Fortunately this is not the case; the new factories (huge : 15000 employees a piece) create jobs for jobless (peasants giving up agriculture and coming to town, or people previously employed in state firm closed). They are really creating new purchasing power.

Good news, is not it ?
                  The creation of new factories is creating jobs. When investors realize that there is too much capacity they will stop building factories. Then people will lose jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

The creation of new factories is creating jobs. When investors realize that there is too much capacity they will stop building factories. Then people will lose jobs.
                    I feel the necessity to define the non-building of a factory as neutral jobwise. The loss of jobs could result from the closing of existing (and running) factories.

But the industrial saturation of China (four times as populated as the US) will not happen within the next 10 years, which is an horizon exceeding most people anticipations.
                    Statistical anomaly.

Comment

I feel the necessity to define the non-building of a factory as neutral jobwise. The loss of jobs could result from the closing of existing (and running) factories.
                      I'm not saying they shouldn't build factories. They shouldn't build too many, too fast.
                      But the industrial saturation of China (four times as populated as the US) will not happen within the next 10 years, which is an horizon exceeding most people anticipations.
                      The population of China has nothing to do with it. Just because it is four times that of the US does not mean that you can just build four times as many factories as there are in the US and not expect the economy to collapse.

It's going to happen before 10 years I guarantee you. It's going to happen within 5.

Comment

Working...
                      X