No announcement yet.

Are rationality and reason over-rated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are rationality and reason over-rated?

Humans aren't rational creatures so it is really sensible to use these as arguments for beliefs?
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Your point being?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yeah we should base all our choices purly on emotions, to get more drama in our lives...
      everybody loves drama...

at least to the point at which you say hello to your new friends in jail...
      If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

No.

You want to solve a problem? You use logic. You want to get something done, you use logic. You want to communicate something, make an artistic point, or understand human nature*, you use a combination of logic and love.

*With human nature, we are very much in flux, and in terms of our external dealings, we are headed in a very logical direction.

Simply put, decisions based upon rationality and reason, which does not preclude them accounting for emotion and love, are invariably, and by definition, the best.

EDIT: DanielXY:
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Over-rated, No.
          You should try them some time.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

yes and no
            eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

rah:
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Could someone remind me what they call those things you get under bridges, have a Swedish name
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

God everythings a bloody troll in OT these days . Lighten up PH

Comment

Mwehehehe Monkeys live in trees because birds fly! Burry a banana where the elephant plays checkers.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

I think humans should use both reason and emotion in a healthy balance. Both are important but in different ways.
                      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

emotions = gets you happy
                        reason = you stay happy

oversimplyfied, of course...

Comment

or for the depressed:
                          emotions = gets you down
                          reason = keeps you down (if you are depressed for a reason that is...)

Comment

Humans aren't rational creatures so it is really sensible to use these as arguments for beliefs?

Ehh, but humans ARE rational creatures. In fact, our rationality, our ability to reason and use logic, is one of the only thing that seperates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.
                            -connorkimbro
                            "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Yes, they are overrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X