Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Carolina Drug Sweep: Police State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you'd all be singing a different tune if an officer was paralyzed after the raid.
    Fortunately there were no friendly fire incidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll

You are wrong about that!

I am a recovering addict..I can tell you people dont think straight when on a 4 day "wired trip" on Chrystal Meth

People dont feel much when on Phencyclidine http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofax/pcp.html

Call it Love Boat (marijuana soaked), Angel Dust-(Powder form), "Green" (Parsley soaked)

Cocaine/Crack induced rages..

As for Guns drawn and children on their knees it is called containment

Peace

Grandpa Troll
      You bastardize the word peace. Former drug addict and cop? Yet another do as I sayer hypocrite. And marijuana smoking is only a problem in the eyes of the beholder.
      Pentagenesis for Civ III
      Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
      Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Very good chance. Police are drawing guns on "children".

These poor children will not be able to study, suffer from PTSD, be afraid to go to school, need to switch schools. Hee hee

It depends if the state allows you to sue it for 'intentional infliction of emotional distress' (which is hard anyway). You've heard of the doctrine of soveriegn immunity, right?

They can sue for right to privacy (being a Constitutional issue and all), but not like that will get you too much.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          It depends if the state allows you to sue it for 'intentional infliction of emotional distress' (which is hard anyway). You've heard of the doctrine of soveriegn immunity, right?
          Cops work for cities and municipalities - which do not have soveriegn immunity. Only states have soveriegn immunity.

As for the tort, I would go for assault in this case given the cops put the children in immanent danger by going in guns drawn. Survive a motion to dismiss, and the jury will likely be composed of community members, many with kids. At that point, the elements for assault will likely be found (by shoehorn if necessary).
          - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
          - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
          - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

NeOmega - Troll is a cop?

I doubt they can sue, the courts will allow the search because the courts have created loopholes in the 4th Amendment and if the cops claim they were acting on a tip of an ongoing crime, they have cover for the behavior. After all, they regularly bust into people's homes with guns drawn and don't face lawsuits unless they kill someone and the raid was unsuccessful wrt a siezure.

Comment

I remember reading about a case in Florida where feds boarded some guy's yacht looking for drugs. They literally tore it apart and the boat sank from the damage. The owner sued and he was told by the AG's office that they wouldn't pay for the damage because he was insured. So private insurance companies are liable for the damage done by government employees?

Comment

Anyone remember the Gestapo-like raid to take Elian Gonzales away from his family?

If you do not equally condemn that raid, then you are not convincing me that you have any true concern for excessive police action.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Gee Ned, you didn't condemn this raid, does that mean you're being hypocritical or do you support excessive police raids? Shall I mention Waco and immediately accuse people of hypocrisy for not condemning that raid while condemning this one?

Comment

Berzerker, I think you doth protest too much.
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                      Versus Troll's own horror story, here's the other end of the spectrum:

-Cops come rushing in the building, order everyone to get down, have guns drawn. (What basically happened.) Group of stupid brats decides to fight back with guns or just mobbing the cop, and cops fire shots.

Honestly, if a little brat is going to fight back, he's going to do it whether the cops can beat the snot out of him or not. Especially if they've got the "peer pressure of a power trip" on them--think, he can tell his homies in the hood that he got gunned down by a real live cop! (He could probably brag about the huge out-of-court settlement he got for it too.)
                      I willing to bet that wouldn't have happened.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Elian Gonzales - child that had been effectively kidnapped, being held in a neighborhood that declared it would resist removal, and a local police department that stated that it would oppose federal efforts. Moreover, the kid was actually there, this was not a shady tip. Excessive, but blame the morons creating the attendant circumstances.

Waco - bull**** warrants based on lying to a judge, teargas, tanks, and flamethrowers. Plus these people weren't going anywhere - the authorities could have waited out those idiots forever. Yeah, Waco was crime.
                        - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                        - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                        - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Templar, Elian wasn't going anywhere as well.

But still, some consistency. So, I too will condemn the High School raid with drawn guns. Totally unnecessary.

Comment

NeOmega - Troll is a cop?
                            Originally posted by Troll
                            No I dont think it was the "Most appropriate" action, but as a former Law Enforcement official I see the need for containment...

Grandpa Troll
                            Pentagenesis for Civ III
                            Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                            Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

All I have to say is,

Crab people
                              Crab people
                              Tastes like crab
                              Looks like people
                              Crab people
                              Crab people

Police. (what a suprise!)
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

I willing to bet that wouldn't have happened.
                                I'm willing to bet a kid fighting back against armed or unarmed wouldn't've happened either.
                                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                                X