• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Can't Be Good. U.S. Sees Imminent Attacks in Saudi, Shuts Embassy

U.S. Sees Imminent Attacks in Saudi, Shuts Embassy
    Fri Nov 7, 4:05 PM ET
    By Dominic Evans

RIYADH (Reuters) - The United States said Friday that guerrillas were close to carrying out attacks in Saudi Arabia and that U.S. diplomatic missions in the Gulf Arab state would close Saturday to review the security situation.

The warning by the U.S. embassy followed Saudi security raids Thursday in which three militants suspected of links to Saudi-born Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s al Qaeda network were killed.

Bin Laden, in an audio tape last month, had vowed more suicide attacks inside and outside the United States.

"The embassy continues to receive credible information that terrorists in Saudi Arabia have moved from the planning to operational phase of planned attacks in the kingdom," said the advisory without giving details.

"In light of the seriousness of the current threat, the embassy in Riyadh and the U.S. consulates general in Jeddah and Dhahran will close Saturday, November 8, to review their current security posture," it said without specifying when the missions would reopen or when the review would be concluded.

The embassy, which was closed for the Muslim weekend on Friday, urged the 40,000 Americans in the kingdom to be vigilant when in areas perceived to be American or Western.

Washington's close ally Britain said it was reviewing security but had no plans to close its embassy in Riyadh.

Britain last month dramatically raised its warning against travel to Saudi Arabia, saying militants may be in the final phases of planning attacks.

The United States also warned last month of possible attacks in Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil exporter, during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan which runs till late November.

The State Department later told Americans to defer non-essential travel to the kingdom, citing credible information of a threat of attacks on transport and aviation targets.

Saudi officials were not immediately available to comment on the latest warning and U.S. diplomats declined comment beyond the advisory. But they said a planned visit by Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage would go ahead in the next few days. U.S. nationals say they have been on a high state of alert since suicide attacks on expatriate housing compounds in Riyadh in May killed 35 people, including nine Americans.

"We're very much on guard, very much aware of what's going on. I'm extremely wary," said David Castillo, vice-president of a telecoms company in Saudi Arabia.

But he said the advisory did not change his own estimate of the threat level, which he said was "high."

Saudi Arabia, birthplace of Islam, has intensified a crackdown on Muslim militants since the May attacks in Riyadh.

Thursday, two Muslim militants blew themselves up during a police raid in Mecca, hours after another militant was shot dead in Riyadh. And earlier this week, two militants were killed in a shoot-out with security forces and the Interior Ministry said police foiled a plot to target Muslim pilgrims in Mecca.

Riyadh has arrested about 600 people since the May bombings.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Riyadh has arrested about 600 people since the May bombings
    Bin Laden really screwed up when he launched the attack in Saudi in May. Before that they were paying him not to attack in Saudi. In order to return to that status quo he must now show the Saudi's what he can do in Saudi without doing any real political damage to his cause by killing Saudi officials or destroying religious landmarks. Hitting the US in Saudi is just the ticket in his mind. I would imagine if he can execute a reasonable show of force, then the Saudi's will be ready to resume the previous arrangements.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Are his family member's still in Saudi?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

An attack by Al-Queda in Arabia can be helpful. The Saudis might stop assisting terrorists, and fencesitting muslims might be encouraged to steer clear of any groups causing violence in the holy lands.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

More likely in Texas, where they have owned plenty of businesses ever since the early 70's, according to Michael Moore.
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I've nothing against his family. They can come on down.
            He's shamed them.

Comment

Isn't Bin Laden Yemeni, not Saudi?

Comment

Born with a Silver Spoon

Bin Laden was born in Saudi Arabia around 1957 to a father of Yemeni origins and a Syrian mother. His father, Mohammed bin Laden, founded a construction company and with royal patronage became a billionaire. The company's connections won it such important commissions as rebuilding mosques in the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

Mohammed bin Laden took numerous wives and fathered about 50 children. Osama was the 17th son, the only born to a later wife. In a society where status within a family is highly important, bin Laden would therefore have been of relatively low rank.

Bin Laden studied management and economics at King Abdul Aziz University in Jedda, Saudi Arabia, coming under the influence of religious teachers who introduced him to the wider world of Islamic politics.

Osama bin Laden, the leader of the terror group Al-Qaeda, and one of the world's most-wanted, is killed in Pakistan.

Comment

Ok, I was mostly wrong.

Comment

Comes to something when the US has to close down an embassy in a so-called allied nation...
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

well they attacked

Comment

Al Qaeda is shooting itself in the foot, IMO, with the attacks in Saudia Arabia and the recent terrorism in Iraq. No better way then to turn hearts and minds against them then by killing their own people.
                        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

beats me why they are doing it

Comment

Working...
                          X