McDonald's heir leaves $200M to public radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's heir leaves $200M to public radio

National Public Radio will announce today the largest donation in its history, a cash bequest from the will of the late philanthropist Joan Kroc of about $200 million.

Link to story.

Personally I think they should invest the money and utilize the interest for their budget.

Perhaps they can use it to give their morning and afternoon announcers lessons on vocal inflections.

Comment

Unpleasant. Public stations should not subside on charity, you clearly need a licence fee.
      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

It's quality news, and devotes a lot of time to issues that the Mc Media can't be bothered with.

Diane Rehm, Talk of the Nation, great shows
        "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

This is a generous gift.

I listen to NPR and while I have problems with the left-of-center bias that they often display, it is generally excellent programming.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
            It's quality news, and devotes a lot of time to issues that the Mc Media can't be bothered with.

Diane Rehm, Talk of the Nation, great shows
            Interesting way to put it...
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Good.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

She also gave $50million to the Univsity of San Diego and $10million to KPBS. KPBS is San Diego's student administered public broadcasting radio station. Over her life time she gave very, very generous amounts of money to charities her in San Diego.

In fact more of the McDonald's millions went to charity then went to her children.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Isn't public media supposed to be independent? Won't they get an image problem after this
                  CSPA

Comment

I'm going to love the McNews on McNPR! I especially will enjoy the McAll McThings McConsidered
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Gangerolf: Public Radio used to be 100% government funded but in the early 1990's the Republicans, correctly, claimed that NPR had become a partisan media source and that many of its programs weren't listened to by the public. To rectify this the Congress subsidized public radio and provided matching funds for for the membership fees NPR convinces their listeners to pay.

These means that a lot of useless political membo jumbo has been replaced with more popular programs or at least by less partisan news programs (since NPR bow wants to appal to as many people as possible).
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

$200 million is a lot of money though. How can they avoid feeling at least slightly more postitive about McDonald's?

And what does people think? (see Shugun Runner's post)

I guess after receiving gifts like this they'll have to "prove" they're still unbiased.
                        CSPA

Comment

A lot of public institutions in the U.S. are at least partially funded by donations from private individuals. It has been this way for at least 90 years. I can think of very few instances where there was any image problem attached to the gifts, and I don't foresee any problems arising from this one.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

They're ok, but sometimes I think their world map looks like this:
                            Attached Files
                            cIV list: cheats
                            Now watch this drive!

Comment

All jagged?

Comment

Working...
                              X