If you were me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were me...

Okay, I have a very difficult decision to make right now and Im literally torn 50-50. Im thinking about joining the national guard, Im 17 right now so I would go to basic this summer and then finish high school before actually doing anything. My friends say its a dumb idea, but my family says its a great idea. The recruiter of course is talking out of his ass and sugar coating everything.

Pros
    --------------------------
    money for college
    a life experience
    It would help me to move out of my moms house
    I would be helping the country
    I think I would enjoy it
    I will leanr a lot

Cons
    I might be sent to a foriegn country to die for something I think is dumb.
    I might end up not enjoying it, and could end up regretting it.
    People seem to agree that once you've been in a service you change, you might become better, but you might become a slef rightious *****.

what would you do if you were me?

I heard it's pretty hard to get the money for college.

Comment

i faced a same choice in life and i chose the civilian life. now im where i want to be right now. if you have any artistic bones in your body dont do the military
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

im as artistic as a calculator

Comment

the recruiter called today and left a message on our answering machine asking me to call him. He sounded kind of uncertain of why he was calling and mentioned that he knows my dad is in the national guard in Anchorage. The only thing I can think of right now is that my dad called and 'talked' to the guy.

Comment

I joined when I was 17. At times It got in the way of things but all things considered I view it as a positive thing in my life.

It's not for everyone for sure.
            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Wait. I ended up not graduating High School because I changed my mind about joining when I was 17. 3 years later I graduated HS and joined the Navy again.

Worry about school first.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re: If you were me...

Originally posted by Space05us
                Cons
                I might be sent to a foriegn country to die for something I think is dumb.
                End of discussion.
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Absolutely don't do it - at the very least, wait until Bush & Co. are out of office before joining up. If Howard Dean gets elected, for example, you have less to worry about.
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

People seem to agree that once you've been in a service you change, you might become better, but you might become a slef rightious *****.
                    You might become MtG

Comment

No.
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

The first thing you need to ask yourself is why do you want to join. If you have a problem with authority then your best bet is not to join. When you join you don't get to pick and choose what missions you get to do. with the national guard, at least one of your weekends for the month will belong to them. At least once a year you will be sent to somewhere to train. I've been everywhere from Fort Polk Louisiana (armpit of the word) to Rome Italy. Ive stayed in tents and ive been put up in hotels. I have both hated and loved it all in the same week.

Don't base your opinions on some of the people here who have no idea of what they are talking about except from their own narrow point of view. After all the **** that I've seen and all the BS that goes on there day in and day out, I can say that I don't regret joining up. I get pissed at some of the stuff that goes on, but I don't regret committing myself to it. Of course some of you just won't get what I'm talking about. And that's ok. It's not for everyone...
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

One thing I would say is that you may want to wait another year. Give yourself time to decide if this is really what you want.. Don't let the recruiter talk you into any sooner than your ready.

Comment

do you really really really like individualism? the don't go, 'cause boot camp is the most horrid thing against that.
                            B♭3

Comment

you might become better, but you might become a slef rightious *****.

So in other words, SlowwHand and MTG get on your nerves a lot??

(they may not have served in National Guard, but they did serve in military)
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X