Purchasing Home Theater System...Advice Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing Home Theater System...Advice Wanted

I've been looking at several different televisions and DVD players/theater systems, and have selected what I hope is my final decision. Here is a brief summary of the two items.

Philips 500 W Home Theater System w/ 5 DVD Changer

Features

500 watts
    5 disc progressive scan DVD player
    Wide center speaker for increased sound quality
    4 full range 2-way speakers
    85 watt subwoofer
    Sleek design

Price: 258.34 USD

Daewoo 27'' Flat Screen Television

A short list of features:

Component Input
    Digital Comb Filter
    Rear & Front A/V Input
    Price: 285 USD

I'm hoping someone will have some first-hand experience with and knowledge of either of these two products, as I've never purchased either of these two companies' products before.
    Last edited by Verto; November 4, 2003, 22:29.

Daewoo? Are you suicidal?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      Daewoo? Are you suicidal?
      Is that all you can say? What is wrong with it?

Comment

Daewoos are notoriously crap.

It's the Lada of electronics...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

get Sony
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Get a pass on the new TV, wait for HDTV to roll out.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

And remember: Plasma screens' brightness drops in half over the first few years of ownership, stay away from those money-black-holes.

Comment

Verto, buy only an HDTV with a DVI input, and only a DVD player that has a DVI output. Both have to be HDCP compatible. Congress just approved a law that makes that mandatory in all future devices. If you buy anything else, you will quickly be SOL.

Here is a link to a site that gives you more on digital TV:

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

And make sure you buy a widescreen TV. With a normal 16:9 TV you will get some serious black stripes at the top and bottom when watching those DVD:s.

Also, home theater packages like the one you suggest usually have crap speakers. Make sure you can change them for better ones later on, when you can afford it.

Comment

Home Theater system advice:

Onkyo DVD Player
                    Yamaha Receiver
                    Paradigm speakers

Comment

Yes, widescreen format, HDTV capable.
                      Don't bother spending extra to get the HDTV tuner.
                      My cable company provides the HDTV tuner as part of our service. (the converter box handles it) It saved me quite a few dollars.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Only a 27" television??

WUSS
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Hmmm... $550 isn't much. But if that's your budget, then this seems like a good enough combo.

If you had an extra $350 or so, I would buy separates on sound. A receiver, speakers, subwoofer and DVD player, all separate.

Only after you upgrade your sound should you deal with a better TV. The price of higher end TVs has been plummeting the last couple of years and will likely continue this trend for several more. So it's better to wait, if your marginal dollar is very important to you. The price of higher end audio isn't going to go down much, if at all, so you could just as easily buy now as later.
                          Last edited by DanS; December 3, 2003, 12:16.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Hey, could you explain:

I thought that Widescreen ratio is 16:9 - the traditional being 4:3.

So is widescreen something else than 16:9 (perhaps 2.35:1?)
                            I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Widescreen can have any number of different ratios, but when describing a TV, everybody means a 16:9 ratio. Many movies are shot in variations of 2.35:1 ratio and will have black bars on the top and bottom when shown on a widescreen TV.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X