• Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Sez...

To use Windows on your home machine.

Red Hat: Stick with Windows at home
    By Munir Kotadia
    ZDNet (UK)
    November 4, 2003, 5:49 AM PT

Red Hat's chief executive has said that Linux needs to mature further before home users will get a positive experience from the operating system, saying they should choose Windows instead.

Linux is seen by Microsoft as its most dangerous competitor for desktop operating systems, and after a number of high-profile cases where government departments have switched from Windows to Linux-based systems, the OS has been making some progress. However, Red Hat said that the hype around desktop Linux is still mostly unfounded at the moment.

Matthew Szulik, chief executive of Linux vendor Red Hat, said on Monday that although Linux is capable of exceeding expectations for corporate users, home users should stick with Windows: "I would say that for the consumer market place, Windows probably continues to be the right product line," he said. "I would argue that from the device-driver standpoint and perhaps some of the other traditional functionality, for that classic consumer purchaser, it is my view that (Linux) technology needs to mature a little bit more."

Szulik gave an example of his 90-year-old father going to a local retailer in order to purchase a computer with Linux: "We know painfully well what happens. He will try to get it installed and either doesn't have a positive experience or puts a lot of pressure on your support systems," he said.

However, Szulik expects Linux to be ready in a couple of years after it has had time to mature. In the mean time, he is adamant that corporate users would be surprised by how much the operating system has to offer. "Consumers want USB drivers and digital camera support; but for the enterprise desktop, that is a little bit different--that area is ripe," he said. "We think that the enterprise desktop market place is much more strategic and has buyers whose needs we can exceed."
    What have I been saying, ladies and gentlemen?

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Oh, crap, an executive who doesn't lie. Do note that he says that Linux will whoop Windows in five years or so.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
      Oh, crap, an executive who doesn't lie. Do note that he says that Linux will whoop Windows in five years or so.
      If he didn't say that the shareholders would have his ass.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Also: Bounty on MS Hackers

.xyz is for every website, everywhere.® We offer the most flexible and affordable domain names to create choice for the next generation of internet users.

Microsoft to offer bounty on hackers
        Last modified: November 4, 2003, 3:04 PM PST
        By Robert Lemos
        Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Microsoft will announce on Wednesday that it will offer two $250,000 bounties for information that leads to the arrest of the people who released the MSBlast worm and the SoBig virus, CNET News.com has learned.

The two programs attacked computers that run Microsoft's Windows operating system, causing havoc among companies and home users in August and September. The reward, confirmed by sources in both the security industry and in law enforcement, will be announced in a joint press conference with the FBI, the U.S. Secret Service and Interpol that's scheduled for 10 a.m. EST Wednesday.

The rewards are the first time a company has offered money for information about the identity of the cybercriminals.

"It's a new approach," said Chris Wysopal, a security researcher from digital security company @stake, who hadn't known about the bounties and was skeptical that they would work. "I don't think anyone has done this before."

Microsoft declined to comment until Wednesday.

The rewards mark the latest move by Microsoft and law enforcement to track down the people responsible for infecting hundreds of thousands of computers in August and September. The U.S. Department of Justice, the FBI and Microsoft had earlier announced the arrests of two men who are suspected of modifying and releasing minor variations of the MSBlast worm.

New security hurdles must be addressed to prevent cyberattacks
        Top security experts take Digital Defense Test 2003

The attacks were serious enough to hurt Microsoft's bottom line and help security companies post more profits.

MSBlast, also known as Blaster and Lovsan, spread to as many as 1.2 million computers, according to data from security company Symantec. The worm compromised computers that use a serious vulnerability in Windows systems for which Microsoft had released a patch a month earlier. The Sobig.F virus spread through e-mail on Aug. 19, compromising users' computers with software designed to turn the systems into tools for junk e-mailers. A variant of the MSBlast worm, MSBlast.D, was intended to protect machines against the original program, but it ended up being so aggressive that the avalanche of data it produced shut down networks.

Sources who asked to remain anonymous said Microsoft would foot the entire bill for the bounties. Law enforcement typically neither condones nor disapproves of such rewards.

Security researchers gave the planned bounties mixed reviews.

"I think it is not a bad approach to counter the growing activity out there," said Peter Lindstrom, director of research for network protection company Spire Security. "People might criticize Microsoft for it, but it is a legitimate way to mobilize more folks to start analyzing their logs."

Despite nearly three months of intensive investigation, the FBI and Microsoft have only been able to track down two suspected bit players. The rewards seem designed to produce a mutiny in the close-knit circles of the hacker underground.

However, some researchers believed that such rewards might divert attention away from other efforts to add security that might defeat worms and viruses in the future.

"It doesn't solve the underlying problem of people being able to write worms like MSBlast," said one security researcher, who spoke with the condition of anonymity. "It doesn't quite equate accountability with being at the keyboard."

Comment

Anybody who has used Linux on his personal computer with eyes unclouded knows Linux doesn't correspond to the needs of the average computer-illiterate who wants to have a computer.

And anybody who has observed the evolution of Linux and Linux-related software in the last years has seen impressive progresses in this regard, letting hope that Linux will one day (and in only a few years so) be a valid Desktop system.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: Also: Bounty on MS Hackers

Originally posted by Asher
            .xyz is for every website, everywhere.® We offer the most flexible and affordable domain names to create choice for the next generation of internet users.

So, not only are crackers called hackers now, but virus writers are also called hackers.:P

Comment

I thought red hat was somehow gay-related.. am I sick?
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Not if you were turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  Anybody who has used Linux on his personal computer with eyes unclouded knows Linux doesn't correspond to the needs of the average computer-illiterate who wants to have a computer.
                  Computer illiterate should not use computers, just like people who can't swim needs to learn how first.

Regardless of how "easy to use" a computer system is, it is not.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

God bless you, Urban Ranger...God bless!

Comment

Re: Red Hat Sez...

Originally posted by Asher
                      To use Windows on your home machine.

What have I been saying, ladies and gentlemen?

Asher knows his sheit

You will notice that Red Hat is the ONLY Linux group that is honestly with Linux's strenghts and weaknesses.

You will ALSO notice they just HAPPEN to be the most successful.

Is there a correlation there?

DUH!
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                        Do note that he says that Linux will whoop Windows in five years or so.
                        They were saying that FIVE YEARS AGO.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Szulik gave an example of his 90-year-old father going to a local retailer in order to purchase a computer with Linux: "We know painfully well what happens. He will try to get it installed and either doesn't have a positive experience or puts a lot of pressure on your support systems," he said.
                          Exactly the same thing will happen wrt Windows. No doubt about it. A newbie simply cannot install Windows on his new computer and expect to get it going.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Exactly the same thing will happen wrt Windows. No doubt about it. A newbie simply cannot install Windows on his new computer and expect to get it going.
                            I know dozens of "newbies" that can install Windows and have it get going...

Comment

I can't wait until Microsoft drops the nuclear bomb on you Linux Geeks

You guys are going to be all, "oh no they didn't!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X