X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Technology to Power Future Xbox Products and Services

link to article

REDMOND, Wash. and EAST FISHKILL, N.Y., Nov. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/
    -- Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT) today announced that it has entered into a
    semiconductor technology agreement with IBM Corp. Under the agreement,
    Microsoft has licensed leading-edge semiconductor processor technology from
    IBM for use in future Xbox(R) products and services to be announced at a later
    date.
    (Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20000822/MSFTLOGO )
    "Microsoft is already developing the software and services that will
    drive the Digital Decade," said Robbie Bach, senior vice president of the Home
    & Entertainment Division at Microsoft. "By combining our vision, software
    experience and R&D resources with IBM's computer and semiconductor
    technologies, we plan to deliver unprecedented and unparalleled entertainment
    experiences to consumers while creating new engines of growth for the
    technology and entertainment industries."
    According to Bernie Meyerson, IBM Fellow and chief technologist for IBM's
    Technology Group, the new Xbox technologies will be based on the latest in
    IBM's family of state-of-the-art processors.
    "IBM's advanced chip technologies are in demand across a wide range of
    industries and applications," Meyerson said. "We're excited to be working on a
    project of this magnitude and that Microsoft has chosen IBM to provide
    technologies that will power future consumer devices and expand the boundaries
    of what's possible in entertainment."
    WHAT A SHOCKER!!!

Is Microsoft getting a change of ? How !

Edit: fixed URL
    Last edited by Urban Ranger; November 4, 2003, 00:45.
    HAVE A DAY.
    <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
    "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
    For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

bump

HAVE A DAY.
    "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
    For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Ok, I posted this thread a few hours ago and it only has 20 views and no replies from anyone else. Why is thread not getting anyone's attention? For the Apolyton OTF, this surprises me quite a bit.

C'mon people! Let's get something going here!
      HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Because it is not about abortion, Iraq, the economy, the EU, or the first amendment in a courtroom

Comment

This is a tech thread. That counts, too.

I think this act by Microsoft has just rendered a lot people speechless!
          HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Yes, but it isn't an Asher or UR tech thread

Comment

Huh?! How can you say that?!

Oh, I get it. Asher just doesn't know what to say, and neither does UR because they are both just as shocked as I'm NOT!
              HAVE A DAY.

Comment

It may also have something to do with the fact that this isn't particularly, as you put it, shocking news. Nothing to discuss

Comment

With the way Asher has criticized IBM's semiconductor technologies in the past, I would think he would pay close attention to this thread.

Oh, I know what's wrong with him. He knows he can't troll in this thread without refuting his own beliefs, so he's avoiding this thread altogether. What a wimp!

BTW, "Mr. Hyde" is back for this one! Come and get me!
                  HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Got to eat dinner, now.

ASHER!!! UPFRONT AND CENTER WHEN I GET BACK!!!
                    HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
                      With the way Asher has criticized IBM's semiconductor technologies in the past, I would think he would pay close attention to this thread.

Oh, I know what's wrong with him. He knows he can't troll in this thread without refuting his own beliefs, so he's avoiding this thread altogether. What a wimp!

BTW, "Mr. Hyde" is back for this one! Come and get me!
                      I've never criticized IBM's semiconductor technologies really.

I believe I've always said the G5 was a competent chip -- just not the fastest.

See the difference, grasshopper?
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
                        This is a tech thread. That counts, too.

I think this act by Microsoft has just rendered a lot people speechless!
                        Why would this surprise anyone? It's been rumoured for months.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I've never criticized IBM's semiconductor technologies really.

I believe I've always said the G5 was a competent chip -- just not the fastest.

See the difference, grasshopper?
                          Already trolling, eh?

You criticized IBM's SOI process in the past, so don't even go there! And don't go changing yours or my posts either, you little *******! I'm not falling for that one! I edited this and you hacked mine you little ****! You're busted, buddy! You might as well put your head between your legs, kiss your college diploma goodbye and look forward to some time behind bars!
                          Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy; November 3, 2003, 23:55.
                          HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Changing posts? WTF?

And what does IBM's SOI process not doing as much as they thought it'd do have to do with this thread whatsoever?

There's a reason the PowerMacs have extravagant cooling, and it's because IBM's SOI didn't do all they thought it'd do.

Comment

Mr. Nice Guy is probably going to be the next OT moderator if he keeps this up.

Comment

Working...
                              X