Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinions on Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) - best anti-war movie ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinions on Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) - best anti-war movie ever!

The best anti-war movie I have seen is Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) (1988) directed by Isao Takahata, centered around the firebombing of Kobe (he understood the horrors of the strategic campaign were not limited to Nagasaki and Hiroshima), based on a work by someone who lived through the strategic bombing campaign. If anybody here hasn't seen it, please rent it. Only watch it on a sunny day, when you can take a walk with someone you are close to afterwards. Oddly enough when I introduced it to my wife we also had watched "Patton", and the juxtaposition was odd, because it dovetailed nicely with one of the Patton's last statemens, a little before his death. He just might have agreed with the sentiment of Hotaru no haka.
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

I'll see if I can find it here, but it's not likely.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I wasn't particularly impressed by it. I find Catch-22, All Quiet on the Western Front and Paths of Glory to be far superior anti-war films.

I prefer all of Miyazaki's other work to it, also.
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

barefoot gen was pretty good. haven't seen grave yet.
        B♭3

Comment

It's a good movie, but I don't know if was meant as exlicitly anti-war. It is semi-biographical, after all.

--"I prefer all of Miyazaki's other work to it, also."

Although made by Studio Ghibli, it wasn't a Miyazaki film. It was made by Isao Takahata.

Wraith
          If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate

Comment

People on the Straight Dope are just gaga over this film - easily the most mentioned in the regular "what's your fave movie" threads. If your interested in hearing some intelligent discussion about this movie from others who love it, I suggest that you go there and do a search on "Grave" in the Cafe Society forum.

Comment

It made me cry.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It wasn't a Miyazaki work? Wow, no wonder I didn't like it so much!
                "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                Drake Tungsten
                "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                Albert Speer

Comment

Actually, I made the mistake of watching it thinking that it would be light fare- BIG SURPRISE. Yes it is autobiographical, which is why it is both so powerful and so sad. The point is not just the horror of the fire bombings, that get maybe 15 minutes of screen time. The point is the deprivations of war make people callous and unfeeling, or maybe it's "just" that in those circumstances children die unnoticed, and that so many people are callous and unfeeling, it's just the consequences are so much worse in war.
                  The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                  And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                  Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                  Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I'll second Barefoot Gen as a good anti-war movie. Strange when my old Army recruiter called me the first time I was watching it.

I'll have to give this Hataru no haka movie a look.
                    Pentagenesis for Civ III
                    Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                    Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

I just watched it today. My eyes are sore.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It hasn't come in Greece yet. I will try to catch it when it does.
                        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                        George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                        X