(Euro) Coins and nationalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Euro) Coins and nationalities

As the 2nd anniversary of the Euro is approaching, this seemed like an interesting idea for a thread...

I came back from a flee market today and discovered that I had ended up with quite a lot of change. While assessing the 'damage', I noticed I had quite a few different nationalities in there. (For those who've been living under a rock for the past 3 years: in (most of) the EU we've had the Euro as a common currency for the past ~2 years. The coins of the Euro have a common and a national side, where the national side looks different depending on in which country it was minted.)

I counted:

1 Spanish,
    1 Irish,
    1 Greek,
    1 Finnish,
    3 French,
    3 German,
    4 Belgian,
    9 Dutch

coins.

Quite unusual, because before today I had never seen either Greek or Finnish coins before -- quite freakish to get both at the same time. Instead of these nationalities, I would statistically have expected Austrian and Italian coins. Also, although I'm Dutch and live in the Netherlands, I usually actually have more German than Dutch coins in my wallet: a combination of living only a few kilometers from the German border and simple statistics (there are far more German coins in circulation than Dutch ones).

So, for those of you living in the Eurozone, how many nationalities of Euro coins do you have in your wallet right now? (The 13+ option is for the unlikely case that you have coins from Vatican City/Monaco/etc as well as from all 12 official Eurozone members).

For those living outside the Eurozone (inside or outside the EU), how many different currencies do you carry around at the moment? (E.g. pounds, Euros, dollars, pesos, etc)

Also, does anyone know if/when the new EU members will get their own coins and if there's anything known on what they will look like?
    1 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    5.56%
    2 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    9.26%
    3 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    1.85%
    4 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    18.52%
    5 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    3.70%
    6 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    1.85%
    7 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    1.85%
    8 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    3.70%
    9 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    3.70%
    10 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    0.00%
    11 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    0.00%
    12 (and I live in the Eurozone)
    0.00%
    13+ (and I live in the Eurozone)
    1.85%
    1 (and don't live in the Eurozone)
    12.96%
    2 (and don't live in the Eurozone)
    18.52%
    3 (and don't live in the Eurozone)
    1.85%
    4 (and don't live in the Eurozone)
    0.00%
    5+ (and don't live in the Eurozone)
    1.85%
    0 -- I'm broke
    11.11%
    I pay for everything with Bananas
    1.85%
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

"Also, although I'm Dutch and live in the Netherlands, I usually actually have more German than Dutch coins in my wallet"

doesn't that piss you off?
    CSPA

Comment

12 Dutch
      3 German
      2 Spanish
      1 french
      1 Italian
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Not really, it makes me feel like a true European Especially if you mix in the other currencies: of the 12 different nationalities, I see 8 of them quite often (only Portuguese, Luxemburgian (is that the right word?), Greek and Finnish are (very) rare).

Comment

The reason Finnish coins are rare is because we keep all of them. All my coins are Finnish except for one single Spanish 1-euro coin.

Comment

OK. I figured you maybe felt "overrun" by the Germans. But if you regularily see 8 different nationalities I guess that's not the case.
            CSPA

Comment

I don't live in Euroland but I've got some euros lying around somewhere. Let's see..

4 Spanish
              2 German
              1 Irish
              1 Unknown (a €1 with flying geese on it)
              CSPA

Comment

I have some English money and some Slovenian money at the moment.
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I guess some others here in the Netherlands might feel that way, especially since we've had some nasty experiences with German invasions in the past But I for one am cool with it: it's just a stupid picture (and the German coins look much cooler than the Dutch ones anyway, though the Italian coins are my favourite)...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                    1 Unknown (a €1 with flying geese on it)
                    Is it Finnish by any chance?

Comment

Yes. And they appear to be swans, not geese
                      They're all leftovers from a trip to Spain, btw. Most of the coins I saw there were Spanish IIRC, but I saved some of the interesting looking ones
                      CSPA

Comment

let's see I currently have 2 2euro coins - greek
                        1 euro coin - greek
                        10cents eurocoin-greek

doh!

Comment

He he the Belgian coins suck. (No offense ment to Belgium. It's a great country)

I like the Italian coins. At least they don't have the same picture on every coin.
                          CSPA

Comment

What about zero - I don't carry any euros anyway?

Comment

You can choose bananas! (about the same value as your little money )

Comment

Working...
                              X