Historiography of the Western frontier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historiography of the Western frontier

Ok, I have been muddling through my choice for my research project for my Historiography course -- I chose to research how the study of the history of the American frontier changed from Frederick Jackson Turner, to the present day, using a few representative works.

Now, I already have known about violent repression of strikers LONG before I entered graduate school. I have also long known about violent persecution of Mormons.

But one specific incident that I never learned about until now, was that on April 20, 1914 in Colorado, the state militia attacked a tent colony of white strikers and their families. Some tents caught on fire, and as a result, two women and eleven children were killed.

According to the author of the book, "The Legacy of Conquest" by Patricia Limerick, this initiated a state-wide civil war in Colorado.

Through reading her chapter on the complexities of race and conflict in the frontier, she emphasized that past historians had simplified violent conflict as whites being the opressor, and minority race members being the monolithic, hapless victims in a misguided method of counter-attacking white ethnocentric history that minimized these conflicts or ignored them altogether.

I have known it was more complex than that, but with her concrete examples that I never knew about, I appreciate that complexity even more -- it's a simple fact that being white in the West did not guarantee you protection from violent attacks by other whites, as a result of economic, religious, and political conflicts.

And of course, let's not forget the violent attacks and acts between members of different minority groups, or within the same minority group.

Some other interesting facts that dispel myths of the history of the West:

1) The frontier was never free from outside federal government intervention -- subsidies for transportation development, control over Amerindian policies, and organizing territorial government and so on. Yet, at the same time, Western political leaders have often complained about the same interventions that sought to help develop their respective states.

2) Historical experiences (from Spanish colonial days to present) have shown the futility of humans drawing an arbitrary border between what is designated as Mexico and United States. In terms of terrain and culture, both sides of the border are of the same heritage. So why haven't we learned anything from this today??

3) The very diversity of nineteenth and twentieth century West in terms of race, ethnicity and religion strained the racial hierarchial order for whites, and challenged them to think harder (something they never did).

4) When did the frontier really "close?" In 1890 with the official Census declaration?
    In the early twentieth century with implementation of mass irrigation systems and corporate agriculture?
    In the 1930s with increased proliferation of federal government programs and regulations in the West?
    In the 1960s and 70s with more rapid, and more widespread suburbanization?
    And for the borderland between Mexico and United States -- maybe the frontier has never closed yet??
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Interesting post, Mr. Fun! I didn't dig into Frontier history, but recently read a little bit about the history of the SW and was really stunned how all of a sudden, the relations between the Spanish and Pueblo Indians became extremely close as soon as the nomadic Navajos came. Common interests of the sedentaries led to a good harmony, if not even developping a common identity. I also thought it was funny that the Hopi Indians, before the Anglos themselves, called for Federal help against every time more intensive intrusions of Navajo Indians on their land. Being sedentary, they perfectly adapted to the "white" institutions and were not less hostile towards the Navajo than the whites (on the contrary).
    Of course, the Indians were never all passive, they developped strategies and had never problems to adapt in that points where it suited them. Very often, it was them who chose what they wanted to take from the whites and what to leave.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

When the balance of women to men became equal, or roughly equal, the old West ended and civilization ensued.. Women, family women, bring with them civilization. When families spread through the West, the violence and general lawlessness ended.

Obviously, this happened at different times at different places. Coastal California probably was the first to civilize.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
        Interesting post, Mr. Fun! I didn't dig into Frontier history, but recently read a little bit about the history of the SW and was really stunned how all of a sudden, the relations between the Spanish and Pueblo Indians became extremely close as soon as the nomadic Navajos came. Common interests of the sedentaries led to a good harmony, if not even developping a common identity. I also thought it was funny that the Hopi Indians, before the Anglos themselves, called for Federal help against every time more intensive intrusions of Navajo Indians on their land. Being sedentary, they perfectly adapted to the "white" institutions and were not less hostile towards the Navajo than the whites (on the contrary).
        Of course, the Indians were never all passive, they developped strategies and had never problems to adapt in that points where it suited them. Very often, it was them who chose what they wanted to take from the whites and what to leave.
        True enough -- the older view of Amerindians being satic, and hopelessly stuck in the same way of life for thousands of years is ridiculous.

They adapted to new ways of living that in some ways, helped them preserve other aspects of their culture.

Comment

4) When did the frontier really "close?" In 1890 with the official Census declaration?
          In the early twentieth century with implementation of mass irrigation systems and corporate agriculture?
          In the 1930s with increased proliferation of federal government programs and regulations in the West?
          And for the borderland between Mexico and United States -- maybe the frontier has never closed yet??

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
            How did the Spanish deal with the "Indians" in Mexico, particularly, Northern Mexico?
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

When I first moved to California in 1969, there were about 10% more men than women even then. In Illinois, where I came from, there was a small dominance of women. This was true of most of the West vs. the East then. But the farther back in time you went, the greater the disparity.

In my view, any other cause and effect analysis of the civilization of the West will, in the end, only looks at effects of the movenment of women and ignores the true cause of the end of the Frontier.

Analyzing the Wild West for some information as to modern civilization ignores the fact that the Wild West was a different civilization altogether.

Comment

Re: Historiography of the Western frontier

Originally posted by MrFun
                1) The frontier was never free from outside federal government intervention -- subsidies for transportation development,
                This is a common misconception if you are talking about railroad land grants. Much of what was written about land grants came from the Granger movement - and was not quite correct about either the size or the conditions attached to the land grants. Railroad land grants were not grants at all. They were in-kind loans, which the railroads agreed to repay by carrying government freight free as late as World War II. The government also made money because the value of the land it retained increased after the railroad was built. The Senate held hearings on the land grant program in the 1950's (IIRC, cant find a link right now) and determined that the government actually made money on the program overall.
                Old posters never die.
                They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Don't forget primitive road networks, harbors on the Pacific and western Gulf of Mexico, and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo...texas_rangers/
                    Why would you say this?? It seems like the website was constructed out of self-worship and egoistical reasons.

Comment

Damn -- I didn't know that very few people here were interested in the history of the American frontier.

Comment

It was early springtime when the strike was on,
                        They drove us miners out of doors,
                        Out from the houses that the Company owned,
                        We moved into tents up at old Ludlow.
                        I was worried bad about my children,
                        Soldiers guarding the railroad bridge,
                        Every once in a while a bullet would fly,
                        Kick up gravel under my feet.

We were so afraid you would kill our children,
                        We dug us a cave that was seven foot deep,
                        Carried our young ones and pregnant women
                        Down inside the cave to sleep.

That very night your soldiers waited,
                        Until all us miners were asleep,
                        You snuck around our little tent town,
                        Soaked our tents with your kerosene.

You struck a match and in the blaze that started,
                        You pulled the triggers of your gatling guns,
                        I made a run for the children but the fire wall stopped me.
                        Thirteen children died from your guns.

I carried my blanket to a wire fence corner,
                        Watched the fire till the blaze died down,
                        I helped some people drag their belongings,
                        While your bullets killed us all around.

I never will forget the look on the faces
                        Of the men and women that awful day,
                        When we stood around to preach their funerals,
                        And lay the corpses of the dead away.
                        We told the Colorado Governor to call the President,
                        Tell him to call off his National Guard,
                        But the National Guard belonged to the Governor,
                        So he didn't try so very hard.

Our women from Trinidad they hauled some potatoes,
                        Up to Walsenburg in a little cart,
                        They sold their potatoes and brought some guns back,
                        And they put a gun in every hand.

The state soldiers jumped us in a wire fence corners,
                        They did not know we had these guns,
                        And the Red-neck Miners mowed down these troopers,
                        You should have seen those poor boys run.

We took some cement and walled that cave up,
                        Where you killed these thirteen children inside,
                        I said, "God bless the Mine Workers' Union,"
                        And then I hung my head and cried.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Che, I think you and other apologists for unions paint too one-sided a picture concerning strikers. I was personally involved in a strike in Minnesota in 1979. The strikers gave management like me a free pass to the plant. However, they assaulted any "scabs." They slashed tires, strew nails in front of their cars, threatened physical violence, etc.

This was 1979. I can only imagine the violence the unions offered a century earlier.

Can you say, with honesty, that unions in that era were non violent?

Comment

Re: Historiography of the Western frontier

Originally posted by MrFun

But one specific incident that I never learned about until now, was that on April 20, 1914 in Colorado, the state militia attacked a tent colony of white strikers and their families. Some tents caught on fire, and as a result, two women and eleven children were killed.

According to the author of the book, "The Legacy of Conquest" by Patricia Limerick, this initiated a state-wide civil war in Colorado.

The Ludlow massacre? Even I have heard about it.
                            The Rockefeller family owned that mine. IIRC, after the incident they used PR in a cunning way to paint the striking miners as radicals. The Rockefellers and the others responsible for the massacre actually got lots of sympathy. Of course it helped that most of the press was conservative.
                            CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                              Che, I think you and other apologists for unions paint too one-sided a picture concerning strikers. I was personally involved in a strike in Minnesota in 1979. The strikers gave management like me a free pass to the plant. However, they assaulted any "scabs." They slashed tires, strew nails in front of their cars, threatened physical violence, etc.

This was 1979. I can only imagine the violence the unions offered a century earlier.

Can you say, with honesty, that unions in that era were non violent?
                              Nope, but in this case they were (until the massacre, after, well, you can read Guthrie's song yourself). The Colorado NG was ordered by the govenor (after called up by Rockerfeller himself) to open fire on the strikers.

Anyway, I have no love of scabs. They get whatever evil befalls them.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X