Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does God hate me because I've been ignoring his commandments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does God hate me because I've been ignoring his commandments?

Most of you know my religious backround and upbrining.

I've always had tremendous doubt of God, and well my first year of college I've stopped tons of practices.

I never liked going to synagouge and I never found ANY meaning in it, I speak bad hebrew and know all the prayers(most in english and hebrew). In retrospect the only reason I ever went to synagouge was social pressure/stigma/pressure from familly.

Shortly after coming to college I have stopped going all together, I didnt go at all on any of the yom tovim(high holidays) except for about 2 and a half hours on Yom Kipur-though I fasted that day.

The kosher kitchen on campus is horrible, the food is exspensive, small quantities, tastes like crap and has no variety, same food all the time....

I started skipping meals, but that isnt an option, I have to eat, so I started eating regular food from the regular kitchen. I've always been 100% tremendously strict on the kosher laws, but now I've dropped much of that.... I dont eat anything with meat in it, but pizza, eggs etc.....

I look back in the past and I silently judged those who werent as observant as me, not even realizing my observance was an issue of circumstance and convenience, and not really my own choice-not really.

I still pray, infact I always have often, but silently to myself.

I still live what I like to think is a very moral life, I have a very strong sense of morality as far as propety goes, I dont "borrow" things or think its okay if I take blank "because they have so much". I like to think I am kinder then most it comes to interacting with other people, I dont gossip and I never put people down-even those I dont like.

So if God is up there, does he hate me for ignoring his commandments?

Of course he does. Everyone hates you.

Only joking.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Like, yes. D'uh.

He's all forgiving. I'm sure he can let a thing like eating a decent non-kosher meal pass. You pray, you're moral, you very rarely push old ladies in traffic or rampage through central asia on horseback. I think you may be in the clear.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

The thing is I am not at all sorry I am not doing them, I see them as well, pointless.

Comment

Does an all-powerful being who created, well, everything, seem like the micro-manager type to you? G-d, Christ, Allah, the Committee of Amun-Ra (Universe Creating Division), whoever stress the big stuff. Be a good person. Help others. Love. Pray, when necessary. Not doing the small things is like not washing your hands when your mum tells you to. Doesn't mean she loves you any less or that she loves the sibling that does anymore. You're a free agent growing as a person in a world that's not perfect. So while God may want you to eat kosher foods, he's probably willing to let that slide as long as you grow up to be a good, kind person.

Then again, I'm an atheist. So take what I say with a metaphysical grain of salt.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

God would hate everyone if he hated those who ignore his commandments. I don't know anything about the Jewish God, but there has to be a way for those who do not obey the law 100%, because otherwise it would completely contradict basic human nature.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

yes.

just as he hates all of us.

your best bet is to convert to catholicism and shoot for purgatory.

B♭3

Comment

Re: Does God hate me?

Yes. Yes he does. I hate you to.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

i can imagine this now. ann coulter will take che's snippet, magnify it, and then say that all liberals hate other people and can't spell.

B♭3

Comment

Ann Coulter is a disgrace to conservatism. If Buckley were alive today, he'd have her spanked out of the movement.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

interesting, when i was in my first year in college i became more observant - but then i was raised in a non observant Reform home.

First year of college is a time when people have left their parents home, and are wrestling with how they want to live. For Jews, it is often a time of wrestling with observing and belief

Does G-d hate you - I dont know, but I dont think so. You arent just indulging yourself, it sounds like. You are WRESTLING with what you beleive and how you want to live. Israel MEANS "one who stuggles with G-d" G-d might hate your apathy(if that were the case) , but I dont think he can hate your struggle.

RI recall Dennis Prager some time ago discussing what it meant to be a "serious" jew. WRT Kashrut, he didnt specify any particular level of observance - rather he said that you had to think SERIOUSLY about, and think about WHY you were observing or not.

BTW im not sure about your background - were you raised Orthodox? Conservative?

As you may have noted, I have my doubts and issues with G-d - I would say theyre particularly Jewish issues, and I find a Jewish environment the best place to work them out. Too bad that many Jewish environments arent sophisticated enough to be places to work them out.

Dont feel guilty. But dont give up on Judaism, in the broadest sense, either.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

BTW, do you like my new sig?
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

uh, Buckley is alive today. Isn't he?
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

"I dont gossip and I never put people down-even those I dont like."

You dont commit Lashon hara - very good - thats one of the most important mitzvot, and one that many of the most "pious" people regularly fail at.

"Who is the man who desires life...? Guard your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit,"
                            Last edited by lord of the mark; October 31, 2003, 14:25.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                              BTW, do you like my new sig?
                              Only if you'll include all the talmudic commentary on the verse.

Comment

Working...
                              X