Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion vs Superstition

Is there a difference?

Both spring out of a desire to provide meaning and coherence to otherwise random and chaotic events, don't they?

Take my late grandmother. We made fun of her when she talked about the "little people" who lived in the woods outside of her house. She even put out food to them to keep them content
    But she also went to church every sunday and believed in virgins giving birth and this bearded guy who walked on the water. No one thought that to be silly.

So basically, it's society which decides what falls under the cathegory "religion" and what is considered "superstition":

Superstition - random, illogical beliefs held by some people.

Religion - organized set of superstitions believed by a large number of people, accepted by society.

???
    Last edited by Gangerolf; October 30, 2003, 21:19.
    CSPA

Religion to me is the same thing as superstition... just pretty much irrelevant to my life.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I think a lot of stuff that once were considered religion are now considered superstition. And probably vice versa.
      Last edited by Gangerolf; October 30, 2003, 21:10.
      CSPA

Comment

Just as some myths and legends come from true stories, so do superstitions can come from truths or logic. For instance, I don't walk under a ladder if someone is up there, if they drop anything it will likely land on my head. I also recall an old 'superstition' that chewing willow bark would relieve pain, given that it has aspirin (or similar) that isn't so superstitious.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

There is no worship involved in superstition
          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

If your superstition has hired goons, it's a religion.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I gues it's kind of like thinking that the laws of physics somehow formed themselves into life which decided to become a human being with all the associated support systems evolving along the way. Many rational people actually believe that.

Comment

Sorry to nitpick but most people don't (or shouldn't) think that evolution decided to do anything.

Comment

Yeah, I know. IT just did it. Kind of spooky isn't it?

Comment

In other news, a bunch of comets crashed into Jupiter in the 1990s while Halley's Comet didn't. IT JUST DECIDED NOT TO.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

And the drying machine decided not to dry my clothes properly. That *******!

Now that's spooky.
                      Last edited by Ramo; October 30, 2003, 22:29.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Probably one of the heating elements is out Ramo. Some of them have two and when one burns out everything seems to be working but not near as well. Anyway, if you tell me the problem maybe I can help you fix it.

Comment

Religion= superstition + theory + money + a ruler/monarch. Add a priesthood, some nice buildings, tithes and place next to a rival ruler's domain. Watch crusade develop.

Next up - God -v- Allah, the grudge match.

Followed at three o'clock with the rematch of the century- Jehovah takes on Vishnu, while Thor and Loki get to grips with Ahriman and Baal, in a tag team special.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I think it's Tom Wolfe who said "a cult is a religion without sufficient political clout," or something like that.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln
                              Yeah, I know. IT just did it. Kind of spooky isn't it?
                              Jesting aside, yes it is.

I am always a little freaked out when I consider why laws of physics are as they are. "They just are" shouldn't be a satisfactory answer to anyone, even though it is the only available answer. God of the Holes steps in well to answer it too of course. Here science can never touch it.

Comment

Working...
                              X