• Show
Clear All

@ thread.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      2002 = 2.4%
      2003 = 4%?
      Looks good. Is this due to a new cycle, or is it rather due to deficit-spending + lower change rates?
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiffor, you are a bad Marxist. Bad Marxist. Go sit in the corner now.

Of course it's because it's a new cycle.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

A number of reasons, all flowing from the fact that we had (and still have) considerable unused capacity in our economy. Add in deficit spending, increased household consumption (and in this quarter business consumption), low interest rates, and fast productivity growth.

Always remember that French and US numbers are not comparable, since the US has population growth of about 1% per annum. To compare the two on a per capita basis, subtract 1% or so from the US numbers.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            Spiffor, you are a bad Marxist. Bad Marxist. Go sit in the corner now.

Of course it's because it's a new cycle.
            Since deficit spending didn't exist in the time of marx, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The first economy-revival deficit spenders were FDR, and the SDs in Sweeden, IIRC.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
              Since deficit spending didn't exist in the time of marx, . . .
              The point is that a recovery is quite normal.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Great Depression?
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Wonderful. But can you avoid squandering this boon on tax cuts?

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                    Great Depression?
                    Only happened once . . . so far (though there were three Depressions named the Great Depression). Even during the Depression, there were years of very high economic growth and recovery. There were two business cycles during the period we consider the GD. And this recession wasn't that deep. No 25% unemployment.

Comment

MtG: You should run a political blog. You'd blow most of the lefty sites right out of the water.

As for GDP, it's good and I hope it continues, but if it doesn't serve to create more jobs or plug the leaks in the job market, people will still be angry a year from now.
                      the good reverend

Comment

There were two business cycles during the period we consider the GD. And this recession wasn't that deep. No 25% unemployment

actually, I believe you're wrong on that.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                          I hate you mtg... you think just because you are a moderator here means you are better than everybody else... well I had enough of it.
                          I'm your huckleberry.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by rev
                            MtG: You should run a political blog. You'd blow most of the lefty sites right out of the water.
                            There's no money in it. I'm a lazy, greedy, capitalist bastard.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

uh...guys...

Anybody notice that the stock market is essentially unchanged today (up about 0.1 percent last I looked)?

Which probably means that:

A. A substantial increase was expected to begin with; and

B. A good chunk of the rest will evaporate when revised.
                              Old posters never die.
                              They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Even if so, that puts us in 6%+ territory.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X