Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Write Your Congressman -- They want to Tax Your Email!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's included in the price of your purchases. Same as in a shop. The price advertised and that you pay include tax. All retailers have VAT systems in place for dealing with getting the VAT to the government as a consumer you don't see it.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Including overseas purchases?
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Overseas purchases are different, and the tax is different. In practice if you buy something over the net and they deliver it by post you won't have to pay the VAT but customs could make you if they had the manpower to do it.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
          We already have to pay VAT (sales tax) on internet purchases in the UK. Always have had to. You have to pay tax on whatever you buy, doesn't matter where it is.
          And you have a nationalized sales (VAT) tax here in Mexico as well, but in the US it's taxed separately at the state level, with no Federal oversight at all.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Yep -- and as long as both buyer and seller are physically in the same state, there's no problem, but once they start taxing interstate transactions, I can just see the interstate lawsuits start to roll in.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
            X