Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about US Election history

A question for Americans in the house.
    I was wondering if someone could tell, what is the closest an Independent has come to winning an election on the Fed level. I know there has been a few Indy Gov's, but I am pretty sure one has has never been president. The only Ind. I can think of ever running for president are Perot, Wallace, and Nader.

Any Info would be really helpful, thanks.
    " Conceit, arrogance, and egotism are the essentials of patriotism." - Emma Goldman

William Seward Burroughs
    February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.

Best third party run was in... 1908? 1912? something like that.

Teddy Roosevelt (a former, and popular US president) created a new party called the Bull-Moose party and came in second. He split the votes of the Republicans and ended up with Democrat Woodrow Wilson getting elected.

Also John Anderson in 1980 had a pretty strong showing too as an Independent. I forget what he got, but it was like 10-20 percent.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

1912 was Wilson's victory.

It depends on what you consider an 'Independent', Blisterz. Does that mean not belonging to ANY party or not any 'major' party?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Due to the folks he cited I'm assuming any minor party.

Wasn't Wallace from the Dixie party? Or something like that?
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Wallace was a third party, not sure the name. Thurmond in 1948 was in the Dixiecrat Party.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Sorry, I guess I should of been clearer. When I say Independent I mean belonging to anyone but the big 2.

Off Topic : I am playing that old Dos Game power politics. I don't really know much about US politics and that makes the game a bit more intresting. Maybe you guys can tell me about about the people I am running againist (it is a fantasy game, you can run people from any era, Kenndedy vs. Regan). I made myself and Indy, and The Dem is John Connly and his running mate is John Glen, the Rep is David Duke and his running mate is Pat Robertson. Oh ya, my running mate is Barry Commoner. (I just picked people at random, I have no idea who any of those people are )
            " Conceit, arrogance, and egotism are the essentials of patriotism." - Emma Goldman

William Seward Burroughs

Comment

When I say Independent I mean belonging to anyone but the big 2.

Well the 'Big 2' didn't exist from 1800-1860 . In that era it was just the Democrat Party. The Republicans, which came from the Northern Whigs, ran their first candidate in 1856 (Fremont) and then Lincoln in 1860.

I made myself and Indy, and The Dem is John Connly and his running mate is John Glen, the Rep is David Duke and his running mate is Pat Robertson.

I don't know Connly (maybe MtG does?). John Glenn is the former Senator from Ohio who was the first American in space. He's moderate left. David Duke is basically a fascist , and Robertson is one of the heads of the religious right.

Comment

sorry I spelled it's wrong it John Connally.

William Seward Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by Blisterz
                  sorry I spelled it's wrong it John Connally.
                  He was the Governor of Texas and was hit by the magic bullet that the Gov. claims to have killed JF Kennedy. I don't remember him running for President, he may have, I just don't remember it.

Comment

Ah, he'd be a Southern Democrat type then... I don't know much more than him being a conservative Dem.

Comment

I don't think all the people you can select have ran for prez. I think it's just people that at some point were in the position that they 'could' of.

Well I am pretty left on all my issues but gun control and health care, so with both candidates being far right, at least I don't have to split the left votes

What about my running mate Barry Commoner, who is he?
                      Last edited by Blisterz; October 28, 2003, 22:29.

William Seward Burroughs

Comment

I found one. Andrew Johnson was Nat'l. Union party. It was made up of Republicans and War Democrats, Johnson was Democrat.

1. G. Washington party, none.
                        2. John Adams party, Federalist.
                        3. T. Jefferson party, Democratic-Republican (Democrat today).
                        8. Martin Van Buren was the first to drop Republican from Democratic-Republican.
                        9. W.H. Harrison was a Whig
                        10. J. Taylor was a Whig
                        12. Z. Taylor was a Whig
                        13. M. Fillmore was the last of the Whig.

The number above are the position that they served.

Comment

Here is one for you.
                          The Democrate party has been around since 1801, but has only produce 18 Presidents.

The Republican party started in 1869 or so, but has produce, guess what, also 18 Presidents.
                          Since the Republican has been here only 9 Democrate has made it to the White House.

The Rep. are beating the Demo 2 to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Wallace was a third party, not sure the name.
                            American Independent Party.

Teddy Roosevelt's party was the Bullmoose Party...I think because he was a big fan of The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.

Comment

Wallace was the last third party candidate to win any states, Ross Perot had more votes overall though. Teddy Roosevelt had them both beat though.
                              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X