K-1 World Grandprix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-1 World Grandprix

Just 5 more weeks to go till the K-1 World Grandprix, a fighting tournament featuring the world's best fighters.

well...normally anyways. This year, LeBanner and Hoost didn't make the cut because of injuries. The tournament lost, imho, their 2 best fighters.

North American fighters have once again proved their incompetence. This year, there isn't a single North American fighter who managed to qualify for the finals. Pathetic. Especcially Sapp, who's a disgrace to this sport.

So, who is in?

Abidi
    Aerts
    Bonjasky
    Sefo
    Graham
    Leko
    Ignashov
    and the token Japanese guy: Musashi

Aerts is a clear favorite, having already won the tournament 3 times. None of the others have won it before. Leko is a good contender too, as are Ignashov and Sefo to a lesser degree.

First round will feature:

Abidi - Leko
    Bonjasky - Graham
    Musashi - Sefo
    Ignashov - Aerts

Abidi has yet to impress me, and is only in because LeBanner was injured. He lost his last two matches this year, against Ignashov and Hoost. His record with 22 wins and 11 losses isn't too impressive either. Leko on the other hand is in top shape, having won all his matches this year, including one against Aerts. Abidi shouldn't pose much of a challenge for him.

Bonjasky vs Graham is an interesting match, both newcomers. Bonjasky is the more experienced however, and should be able to win this one.

Since the token Japanese dude is a real walkover, Sefo should win this fight without even breaking a sweat. They should really drop the Japanese-token spot though, there are dozens of more qualified fighters out there.

Ignashov versus Aerts will be the match to watch in the first round. Aerts should be able to win it, but hasn't had a wonderful season so far (fighting only 2 matches, and losing one of them).

after this, the winners of fight 1 and 2 will meet, as will the winners of 3 and 4. Leko should make it to the finals, since none of the 3 fighters he will/could face is at the same level as he is. who his oponent in the finals will be is anyone's guess, but I'm putting my money on Aerts.
    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

What on earth is this? Never heard of it.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Excellent thread. I'll return to this after the class is over.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Can someone please enlighten we poor benighted souls here and tell us what the hell this is all about?

Comment

This is premier kickboxing tournament. Striking is allowed by the ways of knees, kicking, and punching. Elbows are, however not allowed.

I don't agree with the best fighters in the world though.. but I do agree that the best stand up fighters are there. With more free rules, I wouldn't bet my money on these guys, well LeBanner would do pretty well because he has done some BJJ as of lately. But definitely a great tournament, great stand up fighting and we can expect KO's. I'm excited.

Too bad, that two of clear favourites are out. My personal favourite is Jerome LeBanner.. naturally Hoost is the latest dominant fighter in K-1, and he's really good.

My perdiction is fairly easy win for Leko against Abidi, Sefo will take out Musashi, Ignashov vs. Aerts will be interesting IMO. Ignashov has showed some solid performances lately, but I think Aerts is the superior striker easily. But you never know, Ignashov has heavy striking.. but I trust the lumberjack will take him to laalaa-land in the second round with a high kick to head after stepping in the same time as Ignashov tries to step in or move away, or before striking flurry or after it. Mark my words, KO by high kick in the second.

I don't know about the fight that's left, I'm not very familiar with these guys. Second round.. If it's Seko vs Aerts, it's going to be a close one, but I predict TKO or KO by Aerts, again with a high kick to the head after Sefo starts showboating when he's hurt and drops his hands. Leko will prolly win the other semifinal, and it should be Aerts vs Leko, wich Aerts takes relatively easily. Yes, Aerts will win this one. I wish they used the smaller gloves they use in MMA, and allowed elbows.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

This will be on Eurosport, right?!
            In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              LeBanner would do pretty well because he has done some BJJ as of lately.
              Isn't BJJ more a "ground-fight" sport?

Comment

Zopperoni, exactly. And in free rules fighting you need to know how to do it. Knowing good stand up is just not enough. But, I think he's gifted, he's big AND fast, devostating stand up fighter, absolutely awesome skills and loveable attitude. And couple of years in BJJ with his professional attitude of training and gifts.. I bet he'd be a REAL force to be reckoned with in MMA (mixed martial arts) scene. As of now, he is too one-dimensional as a complete destroying force, but.. well I don't know, maybe he is good at BJJ, so he knows he's ground stuff, submitting, locks, takedowns and most importantly for him, avoiding takedowns.
                In da butt.

Comment

I've had it explained, but even so.

Comment

It's like this. Tyson has been talking about fighting in K-1 and has been also challenged. Though I don't think K-1 is too poor to pay his 'reasonable' salaries' it would be interesting. He might get lucky and win some, because he still is good with his hands, even though his performance against Lennox was horrible. But, because he has no experience of legs and knees in the rules, he will never win the tournament, and most likely will be pummeled by many guys. Naturally Tyson could be superior striker as far as hands go, but the problem is these guys are good boxers too. So, they can control the fight more and force Tyson to fight there fight. That's why I thin he will be KTFO.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Can someone please enlighten we poor benighted souls here and tell us what the hell this is all about?
                      It's a fighting tournament, where different styles of stand-up fighting meet. Muai thai, kickboxing, boxing, karate. There are some rules (no holding, elbows, and hitting someone who's down) to ensure fair fights, but fighters have enough freedom to show of their skills, which results in many great and explosive fights, and with each fighter using their own style (some never kick, while others almost solely seem to use their legs).

I don't agree with the best fighters in the world though
                      sure they are. Those guys in MMA just fight dirty, and are awarded for hitting their oponents when they're down or otherwise at a disadvantage. Completely unfair, and no MMA fighter will be strong enough to win a stand up fight against any of the top K-1 fighters.

This will be on Eurosport, right?!
                      naturally

Tyson has been talking about fighting in K-1 and has been also challenged.
                      Tyson will most likely fight Sapp. And since Sapp can't hit anything that's moving, Tyson should easily win. But I'd love to see Tyson fight Hoost, or even Bonjasky, who are fast and rely heavily on their kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                        Zopperoni, exactly. And in free rules fighting you need to know how to do it. Knowing good stand up is just not enough.
                        But if this is a kick-boxing event, how is free-fight and the ground game relevant? :dizzy:

Comment

it isn't

Comment

Saint Marcus, Yep, Sapp shouldn't be too bad for starters. But the road will stand up for mr Tyson fast afther that
                            In da butt.

Comment

for those interested, here's the official website: www.k-1.co.jp

Comment

Working...
                              X