Deputy Mayor of Baghdad Assassinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputy Mayor of Baghdad Assassinated

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Unknown gunmen assassinated a deputy mayor of Baghdad in an apparent hit-run shooting, the U.S. occupation authority reported Tuesday.

Faris Abdul Razzaq al-Assam, deputy mayor for technical services, had returned from last week's international Iraq (news - web sites) donors' conference in Madrid, Spain, when he was shot Sunday, the Coalition Provisional Authority said.

Tom Basile, a CPA spokesman, said he had no details on the killing, other than that it occurred in Baghdad, and "we believe he was shot in a hit-and-run incident."

Basile said an official report on the assassination was delayed because the authority believed Baghdad city hall would issue the announcement Monday but it did not.

Al-Assam, one of three deputy mayors, had been a director-general in the infrastructure area in the previous municipal government, under the Baathist Party regime, and joined the new, postwar municipal leadership four months ago, the authority said.

"Faris was absolutely committed to the welfare of the citizens of Baghdad and the future of the city," Hank Bassford, the CPA's regional coordinator for Baghdad, said in a statement.

Basile said he had no information that any suspects had been apprehended in the killing.

Anti-U.S. resistance forces have assassinated or attempted to assassinate several political or police figures holding posts under the occupation. The most prominent was Aquila al-Hashimi, a member of Iraq's interim Governing Council, who was fatally wounded by gunmen on Sept. 20.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

shoot

Comment

Right. Hit and run.

Tactic that should have been used against Hussein.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

drive by. we in da hood now dawg.

Comment

We'd have to hit, first.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Send your ass over there, make short work of that little problem, now wouldn't you?

Comment

Naah, I'm too old for that sand crawling **** anymore.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

This is a big deal.
                I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to have some doubts.
                May be best to leave and let Iraq deal.
                Hussein pops his head up, pop it.
                Time to move on to something different.

Comment

Well, we bit off a big bite. If we can't chew it and digest it, every ******* in the world is going to know what it takes. Iraq hasn't got anything with which they can deal. We're stuck there, although I think that little popinjay Wolfowitz needs to have his ass there full time until his mess is cleaned up.

Comment

I'm just surprised at the population.
                    I mean, if they were Texans they'd be more involved.

Comment

The population knows the situation is unstable, and we may not have the balls to stick around. They also know what can happen to their entire families.

They've had 30 years of the Baath party. The people who are cooperating the most, the Kurds and Shiites, know they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Comment

That's my Sloww. Start something and when it turns out that somewhere, somehow you took on something too big for you just leave with your tail between your legs...

How would Derek say this? Oh yeah, I know: USA! USA! USA!
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

Shut up, Hueij.
                          I want any lip off you. I'll scrape it off my zipper.

That's my boy. Whine, complain, and criticize no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

That's my Sloww. Start something and when it turns out that somewhere, somehow you took on something too big for you just leave with your tail between your legs...
                            Yep, showing a distinct lack of cojones there - but then if I were getting f***ed up the ass on a daily basis, I'd want it to stop too...
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Whine, complain, and criticize no matter what.

Hey, you are the one who's whining in this thread!

"Whaaaah, can't we leave this nasty place and go home?"

USA! USA! USA!
                              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                              And notifying the next of kin
                              Once again...

Comment

Working...
                              X